Foundations of Education with CD-ROM / Edition 8by Allan C. Ornstein, Daniel U. Levine, Daniel U. Levine
Pub. Date: 06/20/2002
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company College Division
With its new full-color design, Foundations of Education provides comprehensive and substantive coverage of all foundational areas, including social, philosophical, historical, political, economic, curricular, and legal foundations of education. The text incorporates relevant interdisciplinary perspectives and emphasizes significant contemporary issues in education.
This book provides a clear understanding of the teaching profession and the issues and controversies confronting American education today. It has a solid research base drawn extensively from primary sources, current references, and documentation.
- New! The Technology@School feature updates students on relevant developments regarding educational technology and provides information that students can apply during their teaching careers.
- New! The authors added information about standards and accountability to Chapters 1, 9, 13, and 16 to address the growing emphasis on holding students, teachers, and schools accountable for meeting local, state, and national standards. New sections focus on preparing new teachers for the stress related to state/district standards and the legal issues involved in the academic testing of students.
- New! Refocus Questions help reinforce students' comprehension by reviewing information learned in the chapter and applying concepts to students' own personal situations.
- Chapter-opening Focus Questions provide students with an advance outline of each chapter's material.
- Getting to the Source one-page excerpts familiarize students with a wide variety of primary source materials. The sources are presented with author commentary andquestions.
- Taking Issue charts present controversial issues in the field of education, offering arguments on both sides of a question. Instructors can use these charts as the basis for class discussion or essay assignments.
- Topical Overview Charts summarize and compare key developments and topics in education.
- Internet and Video Resources are listed at the end of each chapter and connect both students and instructors to technology resources.
- The text discusses the importance of diverse populations in the teaching profession, the current status of desegregation and other important equal opportunity trends, and educational responses to the increasing diversity of students in the U.S.
- The book stresses the importance of developing one's own philosophy of education by exploring how such a personal philosophy applies to the realities of day-to-day teaching.
- Houghton Mifflin Company College Division
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >