Foundations of Maternal-Newborn Nursing / Edition 4by Sharon Smith Murray, Emily Slone McKinney, Emily Slone McKinney
Pub. Date: 10/10/2005
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Continually praised for its reader-friendly coverage of complex topics, this trusted resource provides fundamental, step-by-step guidance for assessing and caring for new mothers, newborns, and families. It carefully integrates the importance of understanding family, culture, client teaching, communication, and critical thinking all into the overall continuum of
Continually praised for its reader-friendly coverage of complex topics, this trusted resource provides fundamental, step-by-step guidance for assessing and caring for new mothers, newborns, and families. It carefully integrates the importance of understanding family, culture, client teaching, communication, and critical thinking all into the overall continuum of nursing care. The updated 4th edition integrates evidence-based practice where appropriate and includes the latest information on women's health and fetal monitoring.
· Nursing Process framework used throughout.
· Over 30 Nursing Care Plans apply the nursing process to clinical situations and include critical thinking questions.
· Multicultural considerations and changing family structures integrated throughout.
· Communication Cues provide hints and techniques for interpreting client and family statements and behaviors.
· Therapeutic Communication boxes use actual client-nurse dialogues to illustrate communication how-to's.
· Procedure Guides present common procedures with rationales for each step.
· Critical Thinking questions complete with answers and rationales, present students with real life clinical situations.
· Critical-to-Remember boxes highlight vital concerns such as danger signs of pregnancy, behaviors associated with substance abuse, and facts about HIV.
· Drug Guides outline indications, adverse reactions, and nursing considerations for the most commonly used medications
· Sample Clinical Pathways guide students through today's collaborative care.
· Check Your Reading questions help students assess their mastery of key content.
· Want to Know boxes offer practical patient education guidelines.
· Free student Companion CD-ROM with case studies, NCLEX review questions, care planning exercises, Nursing skills outlines, and NEW Videos of a vaginal birth, Cesarean birth, Assessment of the pregnant woman, and Assessment of the Neonate
• Increased emphasis on community and home care throughout reflects today's shift from hospital care to the home and other community settings.
• Integrated evidence-based practice emphasizes the importance of applying current research findings.
• Thoroughly updated content in key topic areas covers fetal monitoring and women's health, including estrogen and hormone replacement therapy.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.80(w) x 11.26(h) x 1.75(d)
Table of Contents
Part I. Foundations for Nursing Care of Childbearing Families
1. Maternity Care Today
2. The Nurse’s Role in Maternity and Women’s Health Care
3. Ethical, Social, and Legal Issues
4. Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
5. Hereditary and Environmental Influences on Childbearing
Part II. The Family Before Birth
6. Conception and Prenatal Development
7. Physiologic Adaptations to Pregnancy
8. Psychosocial Adaptations to Pregnancy
9. Nutrition for Childbearing
10. Antepartal Fetal Assessment
11. Perinatal Education
Part III. The Family During Birth
12. Processes of Birth
13. Nursing Care During Labor and Birth
14. Intrapartum Fetal Surveillance
15. Pain Management During Childbirth
16. Nursing Care During Obstetric Procedures
Part IV. The Family Following Birth
17. Postpartum Physiologic Adaptations
18. Postpartum Psychosocial Adaptations
19. Normal Newborn: Processes of Adaptation
20. Assessment of the Normal Newborn
21. Care of the Normal Newborn
22. Infant Feeding
23. Home Care of the Infant
Part V. Families at Risk During the Childbearing Period
24. The Childbearing Family with Special Needs
25. Complications of Pregnancy
26. Concurrent Disorders During Pregnancy
27. Intrapartum Complications
28. Postpartum Maternal Complications
29. High-Risk Newborn: Complications Associated with Gestational Age and Development
30. High-Risk Newborn: Acquired and Congenital Conditions
Part VI. Other Reproductive Issues
31. Family Planning
33. Women’s Health Care
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Great text for maternity rotation. Chapters full of extra help (objectives, study questions, etc.). Use the CD that comes with the book for extra study help.
The text was informative and the cd was helpful. The textbook is detailed and had great photos.