French Intellectuals And Politics From The Dreyfus Affair To The Occupationby David Drake
This volume traces the political positions adopted by French writers and artists from the end of the nineteenth century to the Liberation. Drawing on a wide range of primary and secondary sources, it offers a clear and accessible analysis of the intellectuals' engagement with nationalism, pacifism, communism, anti-communism, surrealism, fascism and anti-fascism,… See more details below
This volume traces the political positions adopted by French writers and artists from the end of the nineteenth century to the Liberation. Drawing on a wide range of primary and secondary sources, it offers a clear and accessible analysis of the intellectuals' engagement with nationalism, pacifism, communism, anti-communism, surrealism, fascism and anti-fascism, which is located within the evolving national and international context of the period.
Table of Contents
• Glossary of Acronyms and Abbreviations
• PART 1 THE DREYFUS AFFAIR AND THE BIRTH OF THE 'INTELLECTUALS'
• Fin-de-siècle France
• The Case of Alfred Dreyfus (1894-98)
• The Birth of the 'Intellectuals'
• Dreyfusard and Anti-dreyfusard Intellectuals
• The Ligues and Action FranÃ§aise
• The Dreyfus Affair: From Zola's Trail to the Bloc Républicain
• PART 2: FROM 'REPUBLICAN DEFENCE' TO DEFENCE OF THE PATRIE
• Waldeck-Rosseau and the Defence of the Republic: Emile Combes and the Republic on the Offensive
• Georges Sorel, Socialism, the Dreyfus Affair and the 'Dreyfusard Revolution'
• Charles Péguy, the Socialists, the Dreyfus Affair and the 'Dreyfusard Revolution'
• Socialism, Nationalism, Internationalism and a New Threat of War?
• The Rise of Action Francaise
• Péguy's Nationalism
• Péguy, Daniel Halévy and Sorel's Views of the Dreyfus Affair
• Intellectuals and the Defence of the Homeland (Défence de la Patrie)
• The Union Sacrée (Sacred Union)
• Romain Rolland: Au-dessus de la Mêlée (Above the Melee)
• PART 3: THE 1920s: FRENCH INTELLECTUALS AND PACIFISM, COMMUNISM, SURREALISM AND NATIONALISM
• France: Victorious But at What Price?
• Pacifism and Revolution
• From Dada to Surrealism
• Julien Benda and La Trahison des Clercs (The Betrayal of the Clerisy)
• PART 4: FACISM, ANTI-FACISM, COMMUNISM, ANTI-COMMUNISM AND PACIFISM
• The Stacisky Scandal and the Night of 6 February 1934
• French Intellectuals and the USSR 1930-34
• French Communism and the Intellectuals 1930-34
• The Years 1934-36: French Facism
• The Years 1934-36: French Anti-facism
• From Popular Front to the Munich Agreement
• September 1938: The Munich Agreement
• August 1939: The Nazi-Soviet Pact
• PART 5: THE OCCUPATION 1940-44: COLLABORATIONISM, COLLABORATION AND RESISTANCE
• September 1939-June 1940: From the Phoney War to Defeat
• Intellectuals and the Defeat of 1940
• Intellectuals and Collaboration 1940-42
• Intellectuals and the Resistance 1940-42
• Intellectuals and Collaboration 1942-44
• Intellectuals and the Resistance 1942-44
• Select Bibliography
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >