From Genes to Genomes: Concepts and Applications of DNA Technology / Edition 3by Jeremy W. Dale, Malcolm von Schantz, Nicholas Plant
Pub. Date: 02/14/2012
Rapid advances in a collection of techniques referred to as gene technology, genetic engineering, recombinant DNA technology and gene cloning have pushed molecular biology to the forefront of the biological sciences. From Genes to Genomes will explain key ideas underlying the most central techniques in the context of the ways in which they are used.
The book opens with a brief review of the basic concepts of molecular biology, before moving on to describe the key molecular methods and how they fit together. This ranges from the cloning and study of individual genes to the sequencing of whole genomes, and the analysis of genome-wide information. Finally, the book moves on to consider some of the applications of these techniques, in biotechnology, medicine and agriculture, as well as in research that is causing the current explosion of knowledge across the biological sciences.
- Introduces key techniques and concepts involved in cloning genes and in studying their expression and variation.
- Provides an accessible introduction to genome sequencing and bioinformatics
- Includes clear two-colour diagrams throughout with an extensive glossary at the end of the book.
- Aimed at intermediate level undergraduate students on a wide range of courses in the biological and biomedical sciences.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.60(w) x 9.50(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of ContentsPreface
Basic Molecular Biology
How to Clone a Gene
Purification and Separation of Nucleic Acids
Cutting and Joining DNA
Genomic and cDNA Libraries
Finding the Right Clone
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
Analysis of Sequence Data
Analysis of Genetic Variation
Analysis of Gene Expression
Analysis of Gene Function
Manipulating Gene Expression
Medical Applications, Present and Future
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >