1. Locating the Debates 2. A History of Immigration Controls: Nationalism and the State 3. From Aliens to Asylum Seekers: A History of Immigration Controls and Welfare 4. Immigration Controls and Class 5. The 1999 Immigration and Asylum Act and Ways to Change it: A Legal View 6. From Shambles to a New Apartheid: Local Authorities' Involvement in Supporting Asylum Seekers 1996-1999 7. A Voice from the Town Hall: The Experiences of an Advice Worker 8. The Incorporation of the Voluntary Sector in the Administration of Immigration Controls 9. Immigration Controls and Children's Welfare 10. Welfare Arrangements for Asylum Seekers Across Europe: A Comparison of EU States 11. The Convergence of Immigration Control and Welfare Systems: An Analysis of the French Experience 12. The Convergence of Immigration Controls and Welfare Systems: An Analysis of the Swedish Experience 13. The Convergence of Immigration Control and Welfare Systems: An Analysis of the United States Experience 14. 'In and Against the State' revisited: Strategies for Resistance
From Immigration Controls to Welfare Controls / Edition 1by Steve Cohen
Pub. Date: 12/07/2001
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
* forced dispersal of asylum
This edited collection addresses theoretical, political and practical aspects of the connection between external immigration controls and internal welfare controls. It considers the implications for the both those subject to controls and those drawn into the web of implementing internal welfare controls. Topics discussed include:
* forced dispersal of asylum seekers
* local authority and voluntary sector regulations
* nationalism, racism, class and 'fairness'
* strategies for resistance to controls
* USA controls.
The book provides support to those unwittingly drawn into administering controls, showing how the role of welfare workers as immigration control enforcers is not a sudden imposition but has exisited since the introduction of controls in 1905.
From Immigration Controls to Welfare
Controls will provide a valuable resource for all those professionals who come into contact with the issues surrounding immigration.
Table of Contents
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews