Frommer's Floridaby Lesley Abravanel
- Free full-color, foldout map
- Insider advice on avoiding the crowds as you hit up the hottest spots in Miami, from the nightclubs of South Beach to the trendy restaurants in the Design District. There are also helpful tips on how to best see the state's natural beauty, from the sugar-sand beaches of the Gulf Coast to the swampy/b> /li>/b>
- Free full-color, foldout map
- Insider advice on avoiding the crowds as you hit up the hottest spots in Miami, from the nightclubs of South Beach to the trendy restaurants in the Design District. There are also helpful tips on how to best see the state's natural beauty, from the sugar-sand beaches of the Gulf Coast to the swampy Everglades and from the chilled-out Florida Keys to incredible scuba diving on the Treasure Coast. Plus tips on where to find the best beaches, nature reserves, golf, boating, swimming, snorkeling, and diving spots in the state.
- Where to find the absolute best seafood in the state from rustic fish camps in Jacksonville to fine dining in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and more. Plus tips on where to find the most authentic Cuban food in Miami and the best places for sunset cocktails in Palm Beach and Key West.
- Insightful commentary on Florida's history and culture, from Ponce de Leon's discovery of historic St. Augustine to the birth of tourism in Tampa Bay during the Gilded Age and from space exploration in Cape Canaveral to Ernest Hemingway's residency on Key West.
- Tips for family-friendly activities, from how best to approach Orlando's Walt Disney World and Universal Studios to exploring some of Miami's kid-friendly museums and zoos. Tips on where to swim with manatees, wrangle an alligator, learn about nature, and drive a racecar (in Daytona).
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinationsthey tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activityno other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Meet the Author
Lesley Abravanel is a freelance journalist and a graduate of the University of Miami School of Communication. When she isn’t combing South Florida for the latest hotels, restaurants, and attractions, she’s on the lookout for vacationing celebrities, about whom she writes in her thrice weekly nightlife and gossip columns and blog, “Scene in the Tropics” and “Velvet Underground,” for the Miami Herald. She is a contributor to Conde Nast Traveler, Time Out, and all three illustrious supermarket tabloids. She is the author of Frommer’s South Florida, Florida For Dummies, and Frommer’s Portable Miami.
Laura Miller is a freelance writer based in Orchard Park, New York, though she’s spent countless hours scouring Central Florida’s theme parks, hotels, and restaurants over the years — with and without the help of her five children. A family travel expert who religiously makes more than just a few trips to the Land the Mouse built, she is also writing a guide and creating a website about Florida just for families.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
We just returned from Naples, FL and used the Frommer's Florida 08. We basically used only Ch 10 for the area around Naples and Ch 1 for the 'best of' sections. This book gave great recommendations for dining-Yabba Island Grill and Cheeburger Cheeburger for example. We have 3 boys and at Yabba Island Grill there was something for everyone. Actually everywhere we ate, recommended by the book or not, was great! We also stayed at the Bellasera partly based on the review of this book and were completely pleased with our stay. The only improvement I'd say the book needed is to include restaurant and accommodation indices and a little more complete general index. The book is not too big to carry around.
Bai, Sammeh-Hammeh! *skips back to where ever SL ish.*