- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Planes are filling up again but air travel promises to be a major hassle from now on. Frommer's Fly Safe, Fly Smart explains your rights and shows you how to survive it all -- cramped cabins, scaled-back service, interminable delays and more. Our outspoken guide gives you the ...
Planes are filling up again but air travel promises to be a major hassle from now on. Frommer's Fly Safe, Fly Smart explains your rights and shows you how to survive it all -- cramped cabins, scaled-back service, interminable delays and more. Our outspoken guide gives you the inside scoop on flying in today's world:
* The latest changes in airport security-plus what you can, and should, bring on the plane
* What to do if you're bumped
* Where the best seats are-and how to get them
* Which airlines lose the luggage-and what you can do about it
* On-time records for each major U.S. carrier, and safety records for the busiest U.S. airports
* How to maximize your frequent-flyer miles
* Where to find the cheapest air fares-and if you've been mistreated, how to complain and get compensation
1. A WHOLE NEW WORLD: SAFETY IN THE AIR & ON THE GROUND.
1. Security at the Airport: Past, Present & Future.
2. What to Expect at the Airport.
3. Safety on the Plane.
4. Flying a Safe Airline.
2. TICKETING PITFALLS: KNOW YOUR RIGHTS BEFORE THE FLIGHT.
1. What the Airlines Promise You.
2. Crowds in the Sky: The Business of Bumping.
3. Dealing with Delays, Cancellations & Lost Tickets.
4. Lounging Around: Taking Advantage of the Airport Lounge.
5. The Hub Hullabaloo.
6. Allied Forces: Codesharing & Partner Programs.
7. Questions to Ask Before You Book.
3. THE HOT SEAT: HOW TO PICK THE BEST SPOT ON THE PLANE.
1. Sitting Pretty: Advice for Choosing Your Spot.
2. Seat Assignment Policies for Major Domestic Airlines.
3. The Class Struggle.
4. LOST IN SPACE: HOW TO COPE WITH BAGGAGE SNAFUS.
1. Today's Realities.
2. Carry-on Conundrums.
3. Banned Baggage.
4. Baggage Tips for Smart Travelers.
5. The Well-Packed Bag.
6. The Bottom Line: What Do the Airlines Owe You?
7. When Your Baggage Has a Pulse: Traveling with Your Pet.
5. WHITE KNUCKLE COMBAT: HOW TO CONQUER THE FEAR OF FLYING.
1. Profile of an Aviophobe.
2. So What Can Be Done About It?.
3. Ease Your Angst: Understanding Government Safety Enforcements.
4. Know Your Meteorology: Weather Dangers Demystified.
5. Other Ways to Treat Aviophobia.
6. Simple Remedies for Minor Aviophobia.
6. LIFE PRESERVERS: STAYING HEALTHY WHEN YOU FLY.
1. Health in the Air: Common Problems & Ailments.
2. Obtaining Medical Assistance While Airborne.
3. Tasteless: Dealing with Airline Food.
4. Travel Insurance Demystified.
5. Advice for Passengers with Special Needs.
6. Traveling with Children.
7. BEAT THE CLOCK: HOW TO MINIMIZE JET LAG.
1. What Is Jet Lag?
2. How to Cope with Jet Lag.
3. Melatonin: Jet Lag Pills.
4. Light Therapy: Seeing the Light.
5. Light Therapy: Sample Schedules.
6. The Argonne National Laboratory's Anti-Jet-Lag Diet.
7. When Is the Best Departure Time?
8. SKY HOUNDS: HOW TO MAXIMIZE YOUR FREQUENT-FLIER MILEAGE.
1. How to Play the Mileage Game.
2. Frequent-Flier Profiles of the Major Domestic Airlines.
3. How to Manage Your Miles.
4. The Politics of Upgrading.
5. Upgrading Policies of the Major Domestic Airlines.
6. Alliances & Multiple Accounts.
7. Buy to Fly: Using Credit Cards to Earn Miles.
8. Earn Miles on the Road.
9. Dialing & Surfing for Miles.
10. Shopping for Miles.
11. Dining for Miles.
9. CHEAP FARES: EASY WAYS TO CUT THE COST OF AIR TRAVEL.
1. How the Fare Game Works.
2. Booking Online: Saving on the Internet.
3. Consolidators: The Price Clubs of the Travel Biz.
4. Working with a Travel Agent.
5. Checking Out Charter Flights.
6. Traveling as a Courier.
7. Special Discounts for People with Special Needs.
8. One-Stop Shopping: Purchasing a Package Tour.
9. A Look at the Budget Airlines.
10. THE SQUEAKY WHEEL: HOW TO COMPLAIN EFFECTIVELY.
1. Complaining 101: How to Squeak & Get the.Grease.
2. Here Comes the Judge: Going to Court.
3. Consumer Contacts for the Major Domestic Airlines.
4. Additional Complaint & Information Resources.