Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals in Cancer Prevention / Edition 1by Ronald Ross Watson
Pub. Date: 07/07/2003
Cancer is a leading cause of death among adults. Although about 25% of Americans develop cancer in their lifetime, in some populations this rate has been reduced by lifestyle changes. Increasing numbers of people are turning to the use of dietary vegetables, medicinal herbs, and plant extracts to prevent or treat cancer. Their ready availability as "over the… See more details below
Cancer is a leading cause of death among adults. Although about 25% of Americans develop cancer in their lifetime, in some populations this rate has been reduced by lifestyle changes. Increasing numbers of people are turning to the use of dietary vegetables, medicinal herbs, and plant extracts to prevent or treat cancer. Their ready availability as "over the counter" supplements has contributed to an explosion in the use of herbal extracts and related compounds for health enhancement. The spectacular growth of the multi-billion dollar functional food and nutraceutical business, touting health claims sometimes based upon limited research data, underscores the need for this up-to-date reference. Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals in Cancer Prevention brings together a leading group of experts on the different aspects of nutrient supplementation, foods, and plant extracts in cancer prevention and treatment. Their conclusions and recommendations present the most current knowledge from which to springboard future research and create a scientific database for accurate health claims.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.40(w) x 10.30(h) x 0.92(d)
Table of Contents
Part I. Approaches to Cancer Prevention: Role of Nutrition.
1. Antioxidents as Cancer Therapies.
2. Cancer and Nutrition.
3. Vitimin E in Cancer Prevention and Treatment.
4. Chemical Versus Food Forms of Selenium in Cancer Prevention.
5. Nutients to Stimulate Cellular Immunity: Role in cancer Prevention and Therepy.
6. Nutrition and Skin Cancer Risk Prevention.
7. Nutritional Startegies for the Prevention of Cervical Cancer.
Part II. Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs in Cancer Prevention.
8. Tomato and Cancer.
9. The Role of Dietary Fiber in Colon cancer Prevention.
10. Soy Food and Breast cancer.
11. Prevention and Therepeutic Effects of Dietary Phytochemicals on Cancer Development.
12. Phytomedicines and Cancer Prevention.
13. Phytoesrogens and Cancer.
14. Herbals and Cancer Prevention.
15. Cruciferous Vegetables and Cancer Prevention.
16. Breast Cancer Prevention.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >