Around the world, there are tens of thousands of mutual funds with over $20 trillion in assets. The Fund Industry: How Your Money Is Managed gives you an inside look at how mutual funds workhow they invest money, distribute their shares to the public, and provide service to fund shareholdersand why they have become the investment vehicle of choice for investors around the world.
Written by two fund expertsRobert Pozen, Chairman Emeritus of MFS Investment Management®, and Theresa Hamacher, President of NICSAThe Fund Industry details:
- The history and growth of mutual funds, as well as their advantages and disadvantages compared to alternative investment vehicles, such as ETFs and hedge funds
- How to evaluate funds, categorizing them by security type and investment objective and researching them using the prospectus, shareholder reports, and third-party reviews
- How fund managers pick stocks and bonds, make trading decisions, and vote proxies
- How mutual funds are sold through brokers, banks, insurance agents, retirement plans, and fund supermarkets
- The roles of the independent directors, transfer agents, and fund accountants
- The opportunities and challenges of investing and gathering assets internationally
The Fund Industry companion website offers readers additional, exclusive information, as well as a special section for teachers containing review and discussion questions, case studies, and suggested readings.