Fundamentals of Complementary and Alternative Medicine / Edition 4by Marc S. Micozzi
Focusing on emerging therapies and those best supported by clinical trials and scientific evidence, Fundamentals of Complementary and Alternative Medicine describes some of the most prevalent and the fastest-growing CAM therapies in use today. Prominent author Dr. Marc Micozzi provides a complete overview of CAM, creating a solid foundation and context for/b>… See more details below
Focusing on emerging therapies and those best supported by clinical trials and scientific evidence, Fundamentals of Complementary and Alternative Medicine describes some of the most prevalent and the fastest-growing CAM therapies in use today. Prominent author Dr. Marc Micozzi provides a complete overview of CAM, creating a solid foundation and context for therapies in current practice. Coverage of systems and therapies includes mind, body, and spirit; traditional Western healing; and traditional ethnomedical systems from around the world. Discussions include homeopathy, massage and manual therapies, chiropractic, a revised chapter on osteopathy, herbal medicine, aromatherapy, naturopathic medicine, and nutrition and hydration. With its wide range of topics, this is the ideal CAM reference for both students and practitioners!
- An evidence-based approach focuses on treatments best supported by clinical trials and scientific evidence.
- Coverage of CAM therapies and systems includes those most commonly encountered or growing in popularity, so you carefully evaluate each treatment.
- Global coverage includes discussions of traditional healing arts from Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.
- Longevity in the market makes this a classic, trusted text.
- Expert contributors include well-known writers such as Kevin Ergil, Patch Adams, Joseph Pizzorno, Victor Sierpina, and Marc Micozzi himself.
- Suggested readings and references in each chapter list the best resources for further research and study.
- New, expanded organization covers the foundations of CAM, traditional Western healing, and traditional ethnomedical systems from Asia, Africa, and the Americas, putting CAM in perspective and making it easier to understand CAM origins and contexts.
- NEW content includes legal and operational issues in integrative medicine, creative and expressive arts therapies, ecological pharmacology, hydration, mind-body thought and practice in America, osteopathy, reflexology, South American healing, traditional medicines of India, and Unani medicine.
- Revised and updated chapters include aromatherapy, classical acupuncture, energy medicine, biophysical devices (electricity, light, and magnetism), massage and touch therapies, traditional osteopathy, reflexology, vitalism, and yoga.
- New research studies explain how and why CAM therapies work, and also demonstrate that they do work, in areas such as acupuncture, energy healing, and mind-body therapies.
- Expanded content on basic sciences includes biophysics, ecology, ethnomedicine, neurobiology, and pschoneuroimmunology, providing the scientific background needed to learn and practice CAM and integrative medicine.
- Expanded coverage of nutrition and hydration includes practical information on Vitamin D and healthy hydration with fluid and electrolytes.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.70(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
Section One: Foundations
- Characteristics of Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Translation from Conventional Medicine
- Issues in Integrative Medicine
- Ecological Pharmacology NEW!
- Social and Cultural Factors in Medicine
- Mind-Body Thought and Practice in Early and Late America NEW!
- Neurohumoral Physiology and PNI
- Mind-Body Modalities
- Energy Medicine NEW!
- Biophysical Devices: Electricity, Light and Magnetism
- The Arts in Medicine
- Creative and Expressive Therapies NEW!
- Principles of Bodywork: Manual and Manipulative Therapies NEW!
- Massage and Touch Therapies NEW!
- Reflexology NEW!
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Western Herbalism, with Appendix: Common Herbs in Clinical Practice
- Nutrition & Hydration NEW!
- Traditional Medicine of China, with Appendix: Chinese Herbs
- Acupuncture NEW!
- Qi Gong
- Tibetan Medicine
- Traditional Medicine of India: Ayur Veda & Siddha NEW!
- Unani Medicine NEW!
- Contemporary Ayur Veda NEW!
- Sufism and Rapid Healing
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems-Southern African Healing
- Native American Healing, with Appendix: Native American Herbs
- South American Spiritism NEW!
- Latin American Curanderismo
- Global Perspectives NEW!
Section Two: Mind, Body and Spirit
Section Three: Manual Therapies
Section Four: Alternative Western Therapies
Section Five: Traditional Ethnomedical Systems: Asia
Section Six: Traditional Ethnomedical Systems: Africa and the Americas
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >