Fundamentals of Complementary and Integrative Medicine / Edition 3by Marc S. Micozzi
Pub. Date: 12/13/2005
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Perfect for students and practitioners in medical, health, and science fields, this acclaimed resource lays the groundwork for a solid understanding of complementary and integrative therapy. It provides insight into the historical context of alternative healing systems, as well as the most up-to-date scientific research and clinical applications for integrative… See more details below
Perfect for students and practitioners in medical, health, and science fields, this acclaimed resource lays the groundwork for a solid understanding of complementary and integrative therapy. It provides insight into the historical context of alternative healing systems, as well as the most up-to-date scientific research and clinical applications for integrative medicine. Focusing on therapies best supported by clinical trials and evidence, it describes key concepts of the most prevalent complementary and alternative therapies in use today. This edition features many new chapters and a new appendix, with thorough updates and references throughout.
- Evidence-based approach focuses on treatments best supported by clinical trials and scientific evidence.
- The book's broad perspective traces CIM therapies from their origins and development, up to the latest information on research and clinical trials.
- Written by expert leaders in the field of complementary medicine, including contributions from several well-known authors such as Elliot Dacher, Joseph Pizzorno, Ted Kaptchuk, Hari Sharma, Daniel Redwood, and Caroline Hoffman.
- Two-color format emphasizes special features and important material in diagrams, tables, boxes, and main headings.
- Suggested readings at the end of all chapters guide readers to further research on chapter topics.
- Coverage of neurohumoral physiology is now included in the chapter on Psychoneuroimmunology (PNI).
- Ten new chapters are included on Issues in Integrative Medicine, Chiropractic, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition, Energy Healing, Biophysical Modalities & Devices, Qi Gong, Shiatsu, Tibetan Medicine, and Yoga.
- Chapters on Homeopathy and Mind-Body have been completely re-written by new contributors for a fresh perspective on these subjects.
- A new appendix of Native American Herbs provides updated information on this topic of interest.
- Reorganized progression of material breaks content into five sections instead of four, offering a more balanced presentation within each section.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Fundamentals of Complementary and Integrative Medicine Series
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.10(w) x 10.10(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of ContentsSection One: Foundations of Complementary and Integrative Medicine
1. Characteristics of CIM
2. Translation from Conventional Medicine
3. Issues in Integrative Medicine - New!
Section Two: Contexts for Complementary and Integrative Medicine
4. Social and Cultural Factors
6. Integrated Medical Model
7. Global Dimensions
Section Three: Alternative Medical Therapies
9. Manual Therapies
10. Chiropractic - New!
11. Herbal Medicine - New!
a. Appendix: Common Herbs in Clinical Practice b. Appendix: Native American Herbs - New!
13. Naturopathic Medicine
14. Nutrition - New!
Part Four: Complementary Medical Modalities
15. Neurohumoral Physiology and Psychoneuroimmunology
16. Mind Body Modalities
17. Energetic Healing - New!
18. Biophysical Devices and Modalities
19. Arts Therapy
Section Five: Traditional Ethnomedical Systems
21. Chinese Medicine
22. Qi Gong - New!
23. Shiatsu - New!
24. Tibetan Medicine - New!
25. Traditional Ayurveda
26. Yoga - New!
27. Maharishi Ayurveda
28. Sufism and Rapid Healing
29. Native American Healing
30. Latin American Curanderismo
31. Southern African Healing and Professionalization Considerations
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >