Fundamentals of Database Systems / Edition 3by Ramez A. Elmasri, Shamkant B. Navathe, Shankrant B. Navathe
Pub. Date: 08/04/1999
Fundamentals of Database Systems combines clear explanations of theory and design, broad coverage of models and real systems, and excellent examples with up-to-date introductions to modern database technologies. This edition is completely revised and updated, and reflects the latest trends in technological and application development. Professors Elmasri and/i>… See more details below
Fundamentals of Database Systems combines clear explanations of theory and design, broad coverage of models and real systems, and excellent examples with up-to-date introductions to modern database technologies. This edition is completely revised and updated, and reflects the latest trends in technological and application development. Professors Elmasri and Navathe focus on the relational model and include coverage of recent object-oriented developments. They also address advanced modeling and system enhancements in the areas of active databases, temporal and spatial databases, and multimedia information systems. This edition also surveys the latest application areas of data warehousing, data mining, web databases, digital libraries, GIS, and genome databases.
New to the Third Edition
- Reorganized material on data modeling to clearly separate entity relationship modeling, extended entity relationship modeling, and object-oriented modeling
- Expanded coverage of the object-oriented and object/relational approach to data management, including ODMG and SQL3
- Uses examples from real database systems including OracleTM and Microsoft AccessAE
- Includes discussion of decision support applications of data warehousing and data mining, as well as emerging technologies of web databases, multimedia, and mobile databases
- Covers advanced modeling in the areas of active, temporal, and spatial databases
- Provides coverage of issues of physical database tuning
- Discusses current database application areas of GIS, genome, and digital libraries
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.77(w) x 9.56(h) x 1.68(d)
Table of Contents
I. BASIC CONCEPTS.
Databases and Database Users.
Database System Concepts and Architecture.
Data Modeling Using the Entity-Relationship Approach.
Data Modelling Using the Enhanced Entity-Relationship Approach.
Record Storage and Primary File Organizations.
Index Structures for Files.
II. RELATIONAL MODEL, LANGUAGES, AND SYSTEMS.
The Relational Data Model and Relational Algebra.
SQL--A Relational Database Language.
The Relational Calculus, QUEL, and QBE.
Examples of Two Relational DBMMs: Oracle & Microsoft Access.
III. OBJECT-ORIENTED AND EXTENDED RELATIONAL DATABASE TECHNOLOGY.
Concepts for Object Oriented Databases.
Object-Oriented Database Languages, Standards, & Programming.
Object-Relational & Extended Relational Databases.
IV. DATABASE DESIGN THEORY AND METHODOLOGY.
Functional Dependencies and Normalization for Relational Databases.
Relational Database Design Algorithms and Further Dependencies.
Overview of the Database Design Process.
V. SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION TECHNIQUES.
The System Catalog.
Query Processing and Optimization.
Transaction Processing Concepts.
Concurrency Control Techniques.
Database Security and Authorization.
VI. ADVANCED DATABASE CONCEPTS & EMERGING APPLICATIONS.
Advanced Data Models.
Distributed Databases and Client-Server Architecture.
Database Technology for Decision Support Applications.
Emerging Database Trends and Applications.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >