Fundamentals of Medicinal Chemistry / Edition 1by Gareth Thomas
Pub. Date: 11/14/2003
Fundamentals of Medicinal Chemistry is a concise introduction to the chemistry of therapeutically active compounds, written in a readable and accessible style. Opening with a review of the structures and nomenclature of the more common classes of naturally occurring compounds found in biological organisms, the text then covers the discovery and design of drugs, pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism. The book concludes with a chapter on organic synthesis, followed by a brief look at drug development from the research stage through to marketing of the final product. The text assumes little in the way of prior biological knowledge and only a basic chemical knowledge. Relevant biology is included through biological topics, examples and in the Appendices.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.44(w) x 9.69(h) x 0.94(d)
Table of Contents
1. Biological Molecules.
2. An Introduction to Drugs and their Action.
3. An Introduction to Drug Discovery.
4. The SAR and QSAR Approaches to Drug Design.
5. Computer Aided Drug Design.
6. Combinatorial Chemistry.
7. Selected Examples of Drug Action at some Common Target Areas.
9. Drug Metabolism.
10. An Introduction to Lead and Analogue Syntheses.
11. Drug Development and Production.
Appendix 1. Sickle-cell Anaemia.
Appendix 2. Bacteria.
Appendix 3. Cell Membranes.
Appendix 4. Receptors.
Appendix 5. Transfer through Membranes.
Appendix 6. Regression Analysis.
Appendix 7. Enzymes.
Answers to Questions.
Selected Further Reading.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >