- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This guide highlights major concepts in special education—from disability categories, identification issues, and IEPs to appropriate learning environments and the roles general and special educators play.
About A Practical Approach to Special Education for Every Teacher
About the Authors
Introduction to the Fundamentals of Special Education
1. What Is Special Education?
2. Why Do We Have Special Education?
The Evolution of Special Education
Special Education Today
Protection Against Discrimination
3. Who Receives Special Education?
Special Education’s Categories
4. How Many Students Receive Special Education?
Reasons for Growth
The Continuing Demand for Special Educators
5. How Are Students Identified for Special Education Services?
Accommodating Students with Exceptionalities in General Education Classrooms
The Special Education Process
6. What Services Do Special Education Students Receive?
7. Where Are Students Taught?
Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
8. How Does Diversity Influence Special Education?
Diverse Educational Settings
9. What About Students Who Are Gifted and Talented?
Specific Academic Ability
Ability in the Visual and Performing Arts
Identifying Gifts and Talents
10. Special Education In Perspective
11. What Have We Learned?
Answer Key for Self-Assessments
On Your Own
Journals & Articles