- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
The church disagreed with Galileo. That set off a controversy that rages on today. The passion remains but the issues have changed and the arguments have become more complex. Do miracles conflict with scientific laws? How did the universe begin? Does the creation story in Genesis conflict with evolution?
Hummel sets these controversies in historical perspective by telling the fascinating stories of Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo and Newton. Through their eyes we see how science flourished and floundered under the influence fo the church, setting the scene for modern conflicts.
Then Hummel turns to the Bible, discussing its relationship to science, the place of miracles and the biblical account of the origin of the universe. His treatment of modern controversies is respected and fair-minded. Yet he does not hesitate to criticize the views of others and argue for his own.
Prolog: The TrialPart I: The Scientific Perspective
1. Greek Science: Aristotle & Archimedes
2. Copernicus: Sun & Earth
3. Kepler: Planetary Orbits
4. Galileo: Physics and Astronomy
5. Galileo: Science and Theology
6. Newton: Universal Gravitiation
7. Modern Science: A New PerspectivePart II: The Biblical Perspective
8. Interpreting the Bible
9. Miracles and Scientific Laws
10. Genesis One: Origin of the UniversePart III: Conflicts and Reconciliation
11. A Changing World: Geology and Biology
12. The Creation-Science Controversy
13. Connections: Theology and Science
Epilog: Blaise Pascal: Christian and Scientist