Not for the easily offended, Gay Jesus looks at many different issues in a new light. The ten essays included in its 90 pages are:
1. Gay Jesus - The author looks at what might happen if it was discovered that Jesus was gay, and at how "what if" questions can reveal our hidden prejudices.
2. They Defend Our Freedom? - This is a challenge to the reflexive celebration of military service, and asks why, if most people think a war is without value, they still encourage young people to fight and die in it.
3. How to Tax the Poor - A plan is laid out for surrepticiously pushing the cost of government onto the poor and middle class, and then the reader is shown how many elements of this "fictional" plan have already been implemented.
4. The Licensing of Life - This essay challenges the idea that we need to license so many professions, and looks at the immorality of imprisoning people for honest business done without a license.
5. Sacred Books Equal Idolatry - The point is just that; it is idolatry to worship any written words as something sacred.
6. Who Should Pay Third World Debt? - The answer is nobody, and the reasoning is profound in its approach.
7. How to Be a Radical Juror - A juror can legally void the law, and the author suggests how and when this should be done.
8. Eliminate Marriage - The question asked is why people should need permission of governments to be together in whatever form they choose; and alternatives are suggested.
9. The Invention of Consciousness - Could it be, in part, a metaphorical invention?
10. Reject All Authority - Why it makes no sense to reflexively respect experts or automatically obey anyone.
Steve Gillman is an author and entrepreneur who has written numerous books and created dozens of websites. Though he writes on a wide variety of subjects, he aims to always look at each with an eye to what others have missed. You can read more about him and his books on his personal blog, SteveGillman.com.