The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy / Edition 1by Allan Johnson
Pub. Date: 06/28/2005
Publisher: Temple University Press
The Gender Knot, Allan Johnson's response to the pain and confusion that men and women experience by living with gender inequality, explains what patriarchy is and isn't, how it works, and what gets in the way of understanding and doing something about it. Johnson's simple yet powerful approach avoids the paralyzing trap of guilt, blame, anger, and defensive denial that often result from conversations about gender. He shows how we all participate in an oppressive system we didn't create and how each of us can contribute towards its dissolution. He argues persuasively that something much better is possible and that our individual choices matter more than we can ever know.
This revised, and updated edition features expanded discussions of:
* the core characteristics of patriarchy and its power as a social system
* the relationship between individuals and social systems
* Women's movement assessments of patriarchy and gender inequality
* key-and controversial-terms such as sexism, privilege, and political correctness\
- Temple University Press
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
Part I: What Is This Thing Called Patriarchy?
1. Where Are We?
2. Why Patriarchy?
3. Ideology, Myth, and Magic: Femininity, Masculinity, and "Gender Roles"
4. Patriarchy, the System: An It Not a He, a Them, or an Us
5. Feminists and Feminism
Part II: Sustaining Illusions, Barriers to Change
6. Thinking About Patriarchy: War, Sex, and Work
7. What Patriarchy?
8. It Must Be Women
Part III: Unraveling the Patriarchal Legacy
9. Shame, Guilt, and Responsibility
10. Unraveling the Gender Knot
Appendix: Resources for Unraveling the Knot
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
I am a student at the University of Utah, taking a diversity class. One of our readings is chapter 10 from Unraveling the Gender Knot. As I was reading this chapter I was so engrossed by the message of the content that I had to go online and find out more about this book. If chapter 10 is this impressive I will be purchasing the book to have in my library of the most meaningful and life changing books to read. Thank you Alan G. Johnson for getting the message out to both men and women about how we can live equally and rid of the oppression women (as well as other populations)live with everyday.