- Symphonic Metamorphoses on Johann Strauss's waltz "Künstlerleben"
- Walzermasken, 24 fantasies for piano: No. 2. Pastell
- Walzermasken, 24 fantasies for piano: No. 14. Französisch
- Walzermasken, 24 fantasies for piano: No. 22. Wienerisch
- Walzermasken, 24 fantasies for piano: No. 24. Portrait - Joh. Str.
- Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes from J. Strauss II's "Die Fledermaus, " for piano
- Alt-Wien (Triakontameron): No. 4. Rendezvous
- Alt-Wien (Triakontameron): No. 11. Alt Wien
- Alt-Wien (Triakontameron): No. 13. Terpsichorean Vindobona
- Alt-Wien (Triakontameron): No. 21. The Salon
- Alt-Wien (Triakontameron): No. 25. Memories
- Symphonic Metamorphosis of Wine, Women and Song from Johann Strauss Jr.
- The Last Waltz, for piano (after Oscar Straus)
Godowsky: Strauss Transcriptions and Other Waltzesby Marc-André Hamelin
Hailed for his "blazing virtuosity and poetic conviction" (Gramophone), Marc-André Hamelin devotes his latest recital to Leopold Godowsky's works based on themes of, or directly inspired by, Johann Strauss Jr. - the Waltz King. In his three great Strauss transcriptions - the Symphonic Metamorphoses on "The Artist's Life," on "Die Fledermaus," and on "Wine, Women and Song" - Godowsky (1870-1938) elevated the art of the paraphrase to a higher musical and technical plane. Although their extreme difficulty remains a striking feature and places them out of the reach of ordinary pianists, in Hamelin hands, these showpieces truly take flight. The dazzling program also includes two rarely heard original compositions by Godowsky (Triakontameron and Walzermasken, written entirely in 3/4 time) which continue his love affair with the waltz. The appropriately named closing work is a true rarity: a re-creation of a piano roll Godowsky made of his unpublished arrangement of The Last Waltz, the "money" tune heard throughout the eponymous 1920 operetta by Oscar Straus (1870-1954). From the Label
- Release Date:
- Hyperion Uk
Performance CreditsMarc-André Hamelin Primary Artist
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >