Golf in America: The First One Hundred Yearsby George Peper, George Peper, Robin McMillan
Golf in America: The First One Hundred Years is the only book to cover the entire history of the game in the United States--from the days of the Apple Tree Gang to the present. It shows how golf developed and how it blossomed into America's sporting passion. More than 20 million American men and women play golf, and many more millions watch the major tournaments as they are televised each week. Spectator crowds have grown so large that a new type of golf course--the stadium course--has had to be created to accommodate them.
Golf in America is lavishly illustrated with more than 400 pictures--many rare and historic, many commissioned specially for this volume--that provide a visual feast.
Individual chapters by the editors of GOLF Magazine and several other first-rate writers on the game cover the birth of golf in America; the amateurs; the pros; women's golf; equipment; the media; golf course architecture; instruction; and resorts.
Special features filled with valuable information will delight anyone interested in the game. Among these are:
- Players of the Decade: The ten men from 1888 to 1988 and the five women form 1938 to 1988 who were the best of their era. Walt Spitzmiller, the famed sporting artist, was commissioned to paint an action portrait of each Player of the Decade; all fifteen are reproduced in magnificent full-page color.
- 100 Heroes of American Golf: The men and women who have made the mightiest impact on the American game of golf are profiled in alphabetical order--from Willie Anderson (1878-1910) to Fuzzy Zoeller (b. 1951). Information on professionals and amateurs, on celebrities like Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dinah Shore; on golf officials like Commissioner Deane Beman and great golf architects like Robert Trent Jones becomes instantly accessible. Portrait sketches of each hero were specially commissioned and enliven this excellent reference feature.
- Winners of Major Championships: This feature offers complete lists of winners of the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open, PGA Championship, U.S. Amateur, U.S. Women's Open, and LPGA Championship.
- A Chronology of the game in America pulls together, year by year, the various subjects covered in depth throughout the book.
455 pictures, including 164 in full color.
- Abrams, Harry N., Inc.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.87(w) x 12.00(h) x 1.00(d)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >