At-a-glance information on trans fats, saturated fats, monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, cholesterol in over 1500 brand name and common foods.
Avoid "killer" fats!
Which of these high-fat foods should you avoid: Nuts? Avocados? Steak? Margarine? Potato chips? You probably know about the health risks of consuming saturated fat and high-cholesterol foods. But did you know the real killer is trans fats-- a common fat in packaged foods and baked goods?
This handy counter identifies all types of fats in the foods you eat-- including trans fats. And health writer Sheila Buff clearly explains which are the "bad fats" you need to avoid and which "good fats" are a must for lifelong health. Eating fats wisely is a key to maintaining heart health and reducing your risk of cancer, stroke, and diabetes. This volume puts you in control!
* Where the killer fats lurk, and how you can avoid them.
* Why margarine isn't healthier than butter-- and why it may be harmful to your heart.
* The role of trans fats in childhood obesity and asthma.
* Beneficial effects of fish oil, olive oil, and flax-seed oil!
* Why a low-fat diet is not the best diet.
* The Mediterranean diet...a way to live longer and healthier!
* Snack foods-- high in trans fats, low in nutrition.
Sheila Buff is a health writer with a special interest in nutrition. She is the author of many books on diet and health, including The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vitamins and Minerals, and was coauthor of the bestselling book Dr. Atkins' Age-Defying Diet.