Read an Excerpt
Begin about 1 hour
3 medium-sized cooking apples (about 1 pound)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
5 large egg whites
- Peel apples; cut into quarters; with sharp knife, remove cores.
- Cut apples into bite-sized chunks. In 2-quart saucepan over high heat, heat apples and 1/4 cup water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender. Stir in sugar and almond extract. Remove saucepan from heat; refrigerate apple mixture in saucepan to cool.
- Preheat oven to 4500 F. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- With rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold egg whites into cooled apple mixture until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into 1 1/2-quart souffli dish.
- Bake 15 minutes or until souffli is puffy and lightly browned.
When souffli is done, remove from oven and sprinkle top lightly with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately.
Copyright )1991 by Dorling Kindersley Limited and The Hearst Corporation