Governing the UK: British Politics in the 21st Century / Edition 4by Gillian Peele
Pub. Date: 05/31/2004
This well-established textbook gives students a thorough understanding of the machinery and processes of government in the United Kingdom as well as of the forces shaping the country’s politics. For the fourth edition the text has been substantially updated to take account of the many significant shifts in British politics since 1997, especially the… See more details below
This well-established textbook gives students a thorough understanding of the machinery and processes of government in the United Kingdom as well as of the forces shaping the country’s politics. For the fourth edition the text has been substantially updated to take account of the many significant shifts in British politics since 1997, especially the constitutional reforms of the 1997 Labour government.
Other changes include:
- Extensive annotated guides to further reading and suggested questions for discussion at the end of each chapter.
- A greater use of illustrative material, case studies and graphics, which supplement the text in a lively manner.
- Clear summaries of arguments and chronologies of complex events, as well as boxes giving biographical data on significant political figures.
- A dedicated website, www.blackwellpublishing.com/peele, features information on the book, sample chapters, updated articles so that teachers and students can be regularly updated between editions.
- A range of Internet resources to encourage students to keep up-to-date with a rapidly changing subject matter.
Table of Contents
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
List of Boxes.
List of Maps.
List of Abbreviations.
1. The Changing Structure of British Government.
2. The Constitution.
3. The Character of the Modern British State.
4. The Executive.
5. The Civil Service.
7. The Electoral System.
8. Parties and the Party System.
9. Voting Behaviour, Public Opinion and the Mobilization of the Electorate.
10. Pressure Groups and Participation.
11. Government on the Ground: the Local Dimension.
12. The Diversity of the UK: Governing after Devolution.
13. The Courts and Civil Liberties.
14. Accountability and Control of Government.
15. Beyond The Nation State.
Appendix: Legal Cases.
References and Bibliography.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >