List of Figures.
List of Tables.
List of Boxes.
List of Maps.
List of Abbreviations.
1. The Changing Structure of British Government.
2. The Constitution.
3. The Character of the Modern British State.
4. The Executive.
5. The Civil Service.
7. The Electoral System.
8. Parties and the Party System.
9. Voting Behaviour, Public Opinion and the Mobilization of the Electorate.
10. Pressure Groups and Participation.
11. Government on the Ground: the Local Dimension.
12. The Diversity of the UK: Governing after Devolution.
13. The Courts and Civil Liberties.
14. Accountability and Control of Government.
15. Beyond The Nation State.
Appendix: Legal Cases.
References and Bibliography.