When it comes to cleaning, less is more, and cleaning without toxic chemicals is known as “green” cleaning. Green cleaning is just a new name for an old way of cleaning and often uses items that are already on your kitchen shelves. Many of these cleaning tips may have been handed down from your grandmother, or even your great grandmother, and used over the years to get rid of that nasty stain or odor. Green cleaning is just a different way of thinking about what you put on the surfaces in your home, what you breathe, and what you touch.
There are five natural cleaners that no home should be without:
- White vinegar—A mild acidic product that won’t destroy surfaces and works great for soap scum.
- Baking soda—A mild, natural abrasive that can be used for cleaning without worrying about scratching surfaces.
- Lemon juice—Nature’s bleach and disinfectant, a natural stain remover and deodorizer.
- Tea tree oil—An essential oil that is antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal.
- Borax—A natural laundry additive and booster.