The Guardianship Book for California: How to Become a Child's Legal Guardian


Thousands of children in California need legal guardians because their parents have died, abandoned them or are otherwise unable to care for them. The Guardianship Book for California provides the step-by-step instructions caring adults need to obtain a legal guardianship — without a lawyer. Learn how to: decide whether to obtain a legal guardianship find out if you are eligible to enroll a minor in school and make medical decisions without becoming a legal guardian use alternate forms if a legal guardianship is ...

See more details below
Available through our Marketplace sellers.
Other sellers (Paperback)
  • All (4) from $6.31   
  • New (1) from $42.00   
  • Used (3) from $6.31   
Sort by
Page 1 of 1
Showing All
Note: Marketplace items are not eligible for any coupons and promotions
Seller since 2005

Feedback rating:



New — never opened or used in original packaging.

Like New — packaging may have been opened. A "Like New" item is suitable to give as a gift.

Very Good — may have minor signs of wear on packaging but item works perfectly and has no damage.

Good — item is in good condition but packaging may have signs of shelf wear/aging or torn packaging. All specific defects should be noted in the Comments section associated with each item.

Acceptable — item is in working order but may show signs of wear such as scratches or torn packaging. All specific defects should be noted in the Comments section associated with each item.

Used — An item that has been opened and may show signs of wear. All specific defects should be noted in the Comments section associated with each item.

Refurbished — A used item that has been renewed or updated and verified to be in proper working condition. Not necessarily completed by the original manufacturer.

2009 Trade paperback 7th edition. ISBN 1413309283 New. No dust jacket as issued. NEW, 7th edition. ISBN 1413309283 NEW, 7th edition. ISBN 1413309283 NEW, 7th edition. ISBN ... 1413309283 Read more Show Less

Ships from: San Marino, CA

Usually ships in 1-2 business days

  • Canadian
  • International
  • Standard, 48 States
  • Standard (AK, HI)
  • Express, 48 States
  • Express (AK, HI)
Page 1 of 1
Showing All
Sort by
Sending request ...


Thousands of children in California need legal guardians because their parents have died, abandoned them or are otherwise unable to care for them. The Guardianship Book for California provides the step-by-step instructions caring adults need to obtain a legal guardianship — without a lawyer. Learn how to: decide whether to obtain a legal guardianship find out if you are eligible to enroll a minor in school and make medical decisions without becoming a legal guardian use alternate forms if a legal guardianship is not practical obtain a guardianship for finances or for personal and physical care of a minor, or both prepare, file and have guardianship papers served appear before a judge obtain a temporary guardianship in an urgent situation deal with institutions and agencies — with or without a guardianship — schools, medical facilities, insurance companies, public assistance agencies and more end a guardianship The 7th edition is completely updated with the latest laws, and includes all the necessary forms and instructions for becoming a legal guardian in California.

Read More Show Less

Editorial Reviews

Los Angeles Times
Some of the most useful information is published by Nolo...
The New York Times
In Nolo you can trust.
Read More Show Less

Product Details

  • ISBN-13: 9781413309287
  • Publisher: NOLO
  • Publication date: 3/20/2009
  • Edition number: 7
  • Pages: 372
  • Product dimensions: 8.44 (w) x 10.80 (h) x 0.80 (d)

Meet the Author

David Brown practices law in the Monterey, California area, where he has represented both landlords and tenants in hundreds of court cases -- most of which he felt could have been avoided if both sides were more fully informed about landlord/tenant law. Brown, a graduate of Stanford University (chemistry) and the University of Santa Clara Law School, also teaches law at the Monterey College of Law and is the author of Fight Your Ticket (CA version), Beat Your Ticket (the national version), The Landlord's Law Book, Vol. 1: Rights and Responsibilities; The Landlord's Law Book, Vol. 2: Evictions and co-author of How to Change Your Name in California and The Guardianship Book for California.

Emily Doskow is a practicing attorney and mediator who has been working with families in the Bay Area for more than 15 years, as well as an author and editor for Nolo. She specializes in family law, including adoption, parentage issues, domestic partnership formation and dissolution, and divorce. She is a graduate of the Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California at Berkeley and currently resides in Oakland.
Read More Show Less

Read an Excerpt

A legal guardianship is created when a court appoints an adult to be responsible for a minor who isn't already the adult's child (although they may be related). The adult steps into a parenting role, becoming legally responsible for taking care of the minor's physical needs, managing the minor's assets, or both.
How This Book Can Help You
This book gives helpful information about legal guardianships of minors in California. We
provide forms and instructions you can use to obtain a guardianship without a lawyer's help. We also alert you to some situations where a lawyer's help is recommended, and give you tips on finding and dealing with lawyers.

The Guardianship Book for California is specifically directed to the adult who is planning to be the guardian of a minor. However, if you are a minor's parent, or an adult friend or relative who wants to designate someone else as the minor's legal guardian, you can easily modify the instructions in this book to fit your situation. (If you are a minor who is at least 12 years old, you also can petition to have a guardian appointed for you. Minors may also want to contact an organization that gives information, referrals, and legal assistance to children -- confidentially and generally free of charge. See "Resources for Minors" in Chapter 13.)

If you're wondering whether to seek a legal guardianship, this book can help you decide. In some situations where an adult cares for a minor, a legal guardianship may not be desirable or practical, or there may be easier ways to handle the situation. For example, where a stepparent is taking care of a minor, adoption or a legalguardianship might not be necessary, but some documentation is still advisable.

We discuss alternatives to a legal guardianship, and provide you with forms you'll need and
instructions for completing them. We give you practical information on dealing with schools,
medical facilities, insurance companies, Social Security, and U.S. passport offices.

In addition, we discuss the legal responsibilities of a guardian and list things you should
consider in order to figure out whether you want to accept the responsibilities and duties of
a legal guardian.

The actual process of getting a guardianship is not difficult. It will require that the proposed guardian and the minor make at least one appearance in court. In most situations, this is entirely routine, and you will have no difficulty as long as you follow the detailed instructions in this book. The only other equipment you'll need is patience -- for completing the required forms and dealing with the legal bureaucracy.

Legal Citations

Throughout the book you will encounter references to California law, called legal "citations." If you are interested in doing legal research, you can look up these citations. (Legal research is discussed in more detail in Chapter 13.)

What This Book Does Not Cover
While this book provides all the help most people will need to obtain a legal guardianship, it does not cover every possible situation. There are some situations where you should consult a lawyer. Some examples are listed here.

  • If anyone objects to (contests) the guardianship, or if anyone tries to have you removed
    after you are named guardian. These are unusual occurrences, but sometimes they do happen.

  • If you are seeking a guardianship to manage substantial assets inherited by a minor -- usually $5,000 or more. Although we provide all the information and forms to obtain the guardianship, we do not give step-by-step instructions on how to manage the minor's assets, arrange to have the estate appraised, prepare and file a required Inventory and Appraisement, or prepare and file periodic accountings with the court in future years. Normally the help of a legal professional and perhaps an accountant is in order here -- and this help can be paid for
    out of the minor's estate. (See Chapter 10.)

  • If you want to become guardian of a minor who lives in California, but you live in another state, you'll need help from a lawyer.

  • If there are any unresolved legal proceedings affecting the minor, you'll need to talk to
    a lawyer. This includes adoption, divorce, custody, juvenile charges against the minor, or other proceedings that have not been finally settled by a court.

  • If you want to become guardian of a minor who is physically or emotionally disabled, such as a minor on leave from the California Department of Mental Health or the State Department of Developmental Services, an attorney's help is advisable, to determine whether the minor can be
    protected by additional means such as establishing a "special needs trust."

  • If you want to become guardian of a minor who is "gravely disabled" because of a mental disorder or chronic alcoholism, a special type of mental health conservatorship must be established -- and a lawyer will have to help you with that.

  • If the minor is a Native American (American Indian), the case will be subject to special federal laws. In this area, you will need the help of an attorney.

What Is a Guardianship?
A guardianship is not a termination of parental rights. It is simply a custody order, giving
someone other than a parent legal custody of a minor. All minors must have an adult who is
responsible for them. This makes sense -- after all, you can't expect a six-year-old to register himself in school, open a checking account, pay bills, or apply for Social Security benefits or public assistance. A court-ordered guardianship is simply legal recognition that an adult has responsibility for taking care of the physical needs of a minor, or for handling the minor's assets.

When you are appointed guardian of a minor, you must serve as guardian until you're legally released by the court from your duties. This could be when the minor reaches age 18, or earlier if the court ends the guardianship or your role as guardian -- for example, if it is determined that you are no longer an appropriate guardian. (See Chapter 12 for information on when and how guardianships are ended.)

While at first it may seem that the biggest burden of becoming a guardian is entering into a long-term relationship with a California court, in reality you typically have little contact with the court after the guardianship is in place. The biggest burden of becoming a guardian, at least when you are guardian only of the minor's person, is the initial appointment process. After that, you have only annual reports to file to keep the court informed of the minor's status.

If you are guardian of a minor's estate (handling the minor's assets), you must have the minor's assets appraised and file a document listing details of what the minor owns, and you must periodically file detailed financial statements. But if you are just going to be guardian of the minor's person (having physical custody of the minor but not managing substantial property she owns), you probably will not have any contact with the court after you are appointed guardian.

A guardianship is not necessary for an "emancipated minor." In California, this is
someone under 18 who has achieved legal adult status by marriage, military service, or court order (FC § 7002). A guardian cannot be appointed for a minor's person if the minor is married or has been divorced, although a guardian could be appointed for such a minor's estate. If a minor's marriage has been annulled, a guardian could be appointed for his person, estate, or both. (See below for more information on the difference between guardianship of a person and an estate.)

Guardianships, Conservatorships, and Adoptions

Guardianships are often confused with conservatorships, which are similar proceedings with the important difference that they involve adults, not minors. If you have a relative or know
another adult who needs significant care, a conservatorship, not a guardianship, would be the appropriate procedure. Adoption is a very different type of legal proceeding. The most important difference between a guardianship and an adoption is that an adoption creates a
permanent parent-child relationship, while a guardianship does not.

A guardianship is a temporary relationship that ends when a minor reaches adulthood, if not before. It also doesn't change the relationship between the minor and the minor's legal parents, who are still required to support the child. In addition, the child will still inherit
from the natural parents. A guardianship can be limited to either the minor's person or the minor's estate, but an adoption creates a parent-child relationship that means the adopting parent is responsible for every aspect of the child's well-being. That relationship is permanent -- once a child is adopted, the parent-child relationship can't be ended except in very unusual circumstances.

Two Types of Guardianships
In California there are two types of legal guardianships for minors: guardianship of the
person and guardianship of the estate (property such as money, stocks, and real estate). An adult can be named guardian of a minor's person, estate, or both. The general term "guardianship" is commonly used to cover both types.

Guardianship of a Minor's Person

A guardian of the minor's person has legal custody of the minor and is responsible for taking care of the child's well-being. The guardian would provide food, shelter, and
health care and take charge of the minor's educational and religious development. Generally, the guardian has the same right as the parent to consent to or require medical treatment for the minor. In most instances, the minor is or will be living with the proposed guardian, who must have an established permanent residence for the minor in California. A guardianship is not affected if the minor attends and lives at a boarding school or camp for a substantial part of the year.

A guardian of the minor's person usually
may handle relatively small financial matters on behalf of the minor.
For example, a guardian may handle income of no more than $300 per month, plus public assistance benefits without having to also become guardian of the minor's estate. The guardian of a minor's person can receive benefits for which the minor qualifies, like welfare or Social Security, unless the agency dispensing benefits specifically requires a guardianship of the minor's estate. Letters
of Guardianship of the Person, discussed later, often will specifically say that the guardian does not have the authority to take possession of property.

Guardianship of a Minor's Estate

A guardianship of the minor's estate is necessary if the minor has substantial assets, such as through an inheritance.

Generally, you need a guardianship of the minor's estate to handle an inheritance even if
you are the minor's parent. However, a minor's parent may hold her child's property without
obtaining a guardianship of the estate if the minor's property is worth less than $5,000 (PC
§§ 3400), or if the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) or a trust is used.

If you are going to be handling relatively complicated or extensive financial matters for
a minor, you will probably need to become the guardian of the minor's estate. A guardianship
of a minor's estate may be needed in the following circumstances.

  • The minor has, or is going to receive through a gift or inheritance, assets worth over $5,000. (There are ways to avoid this type of situation, such as by using the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA). See below.)

  • The minor is the named beneficiary of insurance money or other assets, and estate planning measures were not taken.

  • The minor is entitled to receive financial benefits, and the agency dispensing benefits
    specifically requires guardianship of the minor's estate.

  • You were named guardian of the minor's estate in a will, and the person who wrote the will dies.

  • A court determines that a guardianship of the minor's estate is necessary.

If the minor is living with you and you plan to apply for welfare or other public assistance
benefits, you will need to become guardian of the minor's person only unless the agency requires otherwise.

If either or both of the minor's parents is alive, the minor's money may not be used to support the child -- the parents are still responsible for support unless a court orders otherwise. If the parents are deceased or unable to support the child, though, the guardian is required by law to use the estate money and other assets to provide "comfortable and suitable support, maintenance, and education" for the minor as well as for "those legally entitled to support, maintenance, or education" from the minor (PC § 2420). The guardian must preserve the assets of the estate for the minor (PC § 2401). This means that the court wants to ensure that the guardian handles the minor's assets wisely, and doesn't steal any money.

Once you've established a guardianship
of a minor's estate, you'll need to get professional help to maintain the guardianship.
This book instructs you on how to become the guardian of a minor's estate. However, once you are appointed guardian, you may need to be bonded by a surety company, and to have the minor's property appraised by a probate referee. You will need to file a document with the court itemizing the estate's property and appraisal values, file periodic detailed accountings with the court, and possibly attend several court hearings. You will need to hire a legal professional if you become the guardian of a minor's estate, as the details are beyond the scope of this book. (Chapter 10 has more about what's required for guardianship of a minor's estate. And Chapter 13 has information about finding and dealing with lawyers.)

Choosing the Type of Guardianship You Need

Depending on your situation, you may need a guardianship of the minor's person, estate, or
both. To help you determine which, refer to the accompanying box, and consider the following

Example 1

When Fred is five years old, his mother is unable to take care of him because of personal problems, and Fred's father is dead. Fred's Aunt Ethel wants to take care of him but she is financially strapped. Aunt Ethel applies for welfare, but is told that in her county she must become Fred's legal guardian before benefits will be paid. As the welfare agency in her county does not require guardianship of the estate, Aunt Ethel obtains a guardianship of Fred's
person, which enables her to receive Fred's benefits. The county requires that she keep records of how money is spent on Fred's behalf, but the record-keeping requirement is minimal.

Example 2

Jaime is 15 when his mother, Ellen, decides to go into the military. She discovers that they will not accept her if she has custody of her son. Jaime's father is in jail and has never supported or visited his son. Ellen asks her parents to take care of Jaime while she is in the service, which will probably be at least three years. To deal with the military's "no custody" rule and because it's a good idea anyway, she asks her parents to become Jaime's legal guardians. They obtain guardianship of Jaime's person. (In some cases, the caregivers' affidavit will be accepted by the military instead of a court guardianship. Check with your local JAG officer.)

Read More Show Less

Table of Contents

1. Introduction: An Overview of Guardianships
How This Book Can Help You
What This Book Does Not Cover
What Is a Guardianship?
Two Types of Guardianships
Is a Guardianship Really Necessary?
Should You Be the Guardian?
Do You Need an Attorney or Other Legal Professional?
Using This Book

2. Alternatives to a Court-Ordered Guardianship
How to Use This Chapter
Alternatives to Guardianship of a Minor's Person
Dealing With Agencies and Institutions
Medical and Dental Care

3. Getting Started
Documents and Information You Need
The Courts
How to Use the Forms
General Rules on Completing Forms
How to File Papers With the Court
Filing Fees and Court Costs

4. Notifying Minor's Relatives and Obtaining Their Consent
Overview of How to Notify Relatives
Guardianship Notification Worksheet
Try to Find Minor's Unknown or Missing Relatives
After You've Searched for Missing Relatives
Consent of Proposed Guardian, Nomination of Guardian, and Consent to Appointment of Guardian and Waiver of Notice Form
Discussing the Guardianship With the Minor's Relatives
Obtain Signatures From Relatives on the Nomination and Waiver of Notice Forms
Continue Filling In the Worksheet

5. Preparing Forms to File for a Guardianship
Petition for Appointment of Guardian of Minor(s) and Child Information Attachment
Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) (Guardianship of a Minor's Person Only)
Notice of Hearing
(Proposed) Order Dispensing With Notice
(Proposed) Order Appointing Guardian of Minor
(Proposed) Letters of Guardianship
Confidential Guardian ScreeningForm
Duties of Guardian and Acknowledgment of Receipt
Prepare Supplemental Documents If Required
When You Need a Guardianship Right Away

6. Filing and Serving the Guardianship Papers
Check Your Work
File Guardianship Documents and Get a Hearing Date
Local Court Forms May Be Required After You File Your Papers
Serving Papers
Determine Who Must Be Served
Personal Service and Notice and Acknowledgment of Receipt
Having Documents Served by Mail
Copy and File Proofs of Service and Possibly Notice of Hearing
Complete the Guardianship Notification Worksheet

7. Temporary Guardianships of a Minor's Person
When to Seek a Temporary Guardianship
Overview of the Temporary Guardianship Process
Call the Court
Complete the Regular Guardianship Documents
Complete Temporary Guardianship Documents
Filing Documents, Serving Papers, and Obtaining Letters of Temporary Guardianship
How to Extend the Temporary Guardianship

8. The Guardianship Investigation
Each Court Has Its Own Policies for Investigations
Investigation Procedure
Tips on Dealing With the Investigator
The Investigator's Report
Fees for the Investigation
If the Investigator Recommends Against Granting Guardianship
If the Investigator Recommends Granting Temporary Guardianship

9. The Hearing: Preparing, Attending, and What to Do Afterward
Getting Ready for the Hearing
Make Sure Your Hearing Is on the Court Calendar
The Day of the Hearing
Attend the Hearing
Getting the Letters of Guardianship Issued by the Clerk

10. Guardianship of a Minor's Estate
How to Use This Chapter
Completing Estate Items in the Petition
After the Guardianship Hearing
Consult Other Resources to Meet Court Reporting Requirements
Using Funds From the Estate for Support of the Minor
Ongoing Responsibilities for the Guardian of a Minor's Estate

11. Now That You're a Guardian: Rights and Responsibilities
What to Do With Letters of Guardianship
Responsibilities of Guardians of a Minor's Estate
Responsibilities of Guardians of a Minor's Person
Responsibilities to the Court
Transferring the Guardianship to Another California Court
Reimbursements and Compensation of the Guardian
If the Guardianship Is Contested After You Are Appointed

12. Ending the Guardianship
Termination of the Guardianship
Resignation of the Guardian
Contested Situations: Removal or Suspension of the Guardian

13. Lawyers and Legal Research
Finding Free Legal Help
What a Legal Document Preparer Can Do
Finding and Hiring a Lawyer
Doing Your Own Legal Research

A. Appendix A: Glossary of Guardianship Terms
B. Appendix B: Forms for Informal Guardianship Situations
C. Appendix C: Forms for Obtaining a Court-Ordered Guardianship

Read More Show Less

Customer Reviews

Be the first to write a review
( 0 )
Rating Distribution

5 Star


4 Star


3 Star


2 Star


1 Star


Your Rating:

Your Name: Create a Pen Name or

Barnes & Review Rules

Our reader reviews allow you to share your comments on titles you liked, or didn't, with others. By submitting an online review, you are representing to Barnes & that all information contained in your review is original and accurate in all respects, and that the submission of such content by you and the posting of such content by Barnes & does not and will not violate the rights of any third party. Please follow the rules below to help ensure that your review can be posted.

Reviews by Our Customers Under the Age of 13

We highly value and respect everyone's opinion concerning the titles we offer. However, we cannot allow persons under the age of 13 to have accounts at or to post customer reviews. Please see our Terms of Use for more details.

What to exclude from your review:

Please do not write about reviews, commentary, or information posted on the product page. If you see any errors in the information on the product page, please send us an email.

Reviews should not contain any of the following:

  • - HTML tags, profanity, obscenities, vulgarities, or comments that defame anyone
  • - Time-sensitive information such as tour dates, signings, lectures, etc.
  • - Single-word reviews. Other people will read your review to discover why you liked or didn't like the title. Be descriptive.
  • - Comments focusing on the author or that may ruin the ending for others
  • - Phone numbers, addresses, URLs
  • - Pricing and availability information or alternative ordering information
  • - Advertisements or commercial solicitation


  • - By submitting a review, you grant to Barnes & and its sublicensees the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use the review in accordance with the Barnes & Terms of Use.
  • - Barnes & reserves the right not to post any review -- particularly those that do not follow the terms and conditions of these Rules. Barnes & also reserves the right to remove any review at any time without notice.
  • - See Terms of Use for other conditions and disclaimers.
Search for Products You'd Like to Recommend

Recommend other products that relate to your review. Just search for them below and share!

Create a Pen Name

Your Pen Name is your unique identity on It will appear on the reviews you write and other website activities. Your Pen Name cannot be edited, changed or deleted once submitted.

Your Pen Name can be any combination of alphanumeric characters (plus - and _), and must be at least two characters long.

Continue Anonymously

    If you find inappropriate content, please report it to Barnes & Noble
    Why is this product inappropriate?
    Comments (optional)