Greg Thompson is the creator of SOCP (Special Operations Combatives Program). On March 23, 2010, SOCP became the first officially designated combatives program for all U.S. Army Special Operations Forces. SOCP is now the standard program for fighting in kit. It has been adopted by all Special forces Groups, USAJFKSWCS, Rangers, Range 37 (advanced skills battalion), Air Force PJ / SERE and other Special Units. Greg is also training Federal and State Law Enforcement, FBI, ATF, Border Patrol, and Special Contract Units. After September 11, 2001, he was one of a small group of civilians asked to work as a Federal Defensive Tactics and Air Marshal hand to hand instructor in Artesia, New Mexico. In 2004 UFC legend Royce Gracie gave out his first Black Belts to Greg and four other students at Greg’s School. Greg had been training with Royce since the early 90’s. Greg also is a certified instructor Kru in Muay Thai with Black Belts in several other systems.
Greg wrote the POI for Special Operations Combatives Program (SOCP) for DoD.
He has been identified in FM 3-25.151 as a main contributor to the changes in 2009 to the MACP.
- SWIC All-Army Combative Team Coach – first team to win back-to-back years
- Business Owner; R.O.C.,
- Owner of four (4) Combative Equip Patents; three (3) restraint systems; one (2) self-defense device
- 2006 Published Author of the book, “H2H – Modern Army Combatives”
- 2003 NAGA World Champion Advanced Division
- 2003 Triangel Grappling Superfight Champion
- 2003 Guererros Gauntlet Superfight Champion
- 2000 Pan-Ams Silver Medalist
- 2000 Gracie National Champion (200 – 210 lbs
Greg has a Master Degree in Industrial Design from North Carolina State University He currently has 6 patents and has taken dozens of products to market. Most of his designs are for self-defense or to enhance combative training.