As general editor, Bernard M. Spooner began this book by identifying key areas of knowledge and emphasis needed in Baptist churches and began finding experienced and qualified persons to write this brief volume. He has a lifetime of experience in Christian education, including fifteen years as a local church minister and more than two decades as a seminary professor and denominational leader helping pastors, Christian education leaders, and lay leaders. He also served as the first dean of what is now the Cook Graduate School of Leadership of Dallas Baptist University. For the Baptist World Alliance, he has served as chair of a commission that addresses theological education and leadership formation.
Handbook for Baptists What Every Baptist (New and Longtime) Should Know: What Every Baptist (New and Longtime) Should Knowby Dr. Bernard M. Spooner, Dr. William M. Pinson, Dr. Phil Lineberger
1. Who are
This handbook is designed to help longtime Baptists, new members of Baptist churches, and new Christians understand some important elements of who Baptists are and how to live as a Christian. It will be most useful for new members, present members, and pastors and staff of Baptist churches. The various chapters answer questions such as these:
1. Who are Baptists and how are we contributing to the cause of Christ?
2. What are some of the basic beliefs of Baptists?
3. What do I need to understand about my own faith, and what are some spiritual disciplines I need to have?
4. Why is it important to belong to a local church?
---What are some essential things a church must do?
---Do I really have gifts for serving God?
5. How do we as a Baptist church relate to other Baptists and to other Christian groups?
6. How can parents, grandparents, and others help children come to faith In Jesus Christ and understand what it means?
Some possible uses of this book:
1. It may be used for teaching a new member class. Teaching procedures are given for teaching each chapter.
2. Some churches may include it in a new member packet for each new member.
3. The material related to children may be used in a new member class for children or may be made available to parents for guiding their children in faith issues.
4. This material may serve as a resource piece for persons who teach in Sunday School or who work in different ministries of the church.
5. This book could also be used by pastors as supplementary materials for preaching a sermon series related to growing in your faith.
6. It could also be used in a special study such as, "Who Are Baptists and What Do They Believe."
7. Church members may use this small book to help their non-Baptist friends understand who Baptists are and what some of their basic beliefs are.
8. Children's workers may do a study of this book to gain background for teaching in Sunday School or in other ministries of the church.
9. Youth or collegiate teachers may do a study of this book to gain background for teaching in Sunday School or in other ministries of the church.
10. Adult teachers may do a study of this book to gain background for teaching in Sunday School or in other ministries of the church.
- CreateSpace Publishing
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.28(d)
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >