Handbook of Fiber Optic Data Communication: A Practical Guide to Optical Networking / Edition 3by Casimer DeCusatis
Pub. Date: 02/22/2008
Publisher: Elsevier Science
The third edition of this Handbook provides a comprehensive, easy to use guide to the field of optical fiber data communications. Written by experts in the industry from major companies such as IBM, Cisco and Nortel, the Handbook is a key reference for optical fiber technology, networking, protocols, applications, manufacturing, and future directions. It includes chapters on all the major industry standards, written by the same experts who developed them.
This edition contains new material on transceiver form factors (QSFP, SFP +, XFP, X2), manufacturing standards, including JEDEC and RoHS, as well as the latest revisions to industry standards including 8G and 10G Fiber Channel, FICON, SONET GFP/LCAS, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet. The book also contains new chapters on emerging technologies and leading edge applications such as silicon photonics, nanophotonics, parallel optical interconnects, specialty fiber cable types, and optical backplanes.
* New Case Studies on Voice/Data Convergence, Redesigning Mainframe I/O, National LambdaRail, and optical peer-to-peer networks
* Includes an expanded listing of references on the World Wide Web, plus hard-to-find references for international, homologation, and type approval requirements
* Quick reference tables of all the key optical network parameters and a glossary that defines hundreds of technical terms and acronyms
* An accompanying website provides an online portal to the data communications community, containing podcasts on key topics, links to related material from technical societies, corporations and other professional organizations
Written for engineers by engineers, this Handbook will be an indispensable, hands-on reference for optical networks and equipment developers, designers, and installers, as well as for students studying optical fiber communications wanting an understanding of, and insight into, professional practice.
- Elsevier Science
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.05(w) x 9.17(h) x 1.50(d)
Table of Contents
Preface; Introduction; Transforming the Data Center Network;Transceivers, Packaging, and Photonic Integration;
Plastic Optical Fiber;Optical Link Budgets and Design Rules;Mainframe Networks as TCP/IP Servers;Wavelength Multiplexing;A More Reliable Grid Network;Passive optical networks and FTTX; Passive Optical Networks;Energy & Manufacturing Standards;Energy Efficient Networking;Fibre Channel Standard;Lossless / Converged Enhanced Ethernet and FCoE;FCoE Convergence at the edge vs core;Metro and Carrier Class Networks;InfiniBand, iWarp and RoCE;Disaster Recovery and business continuity solutions;Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity;Overlay Networks;Integrated Networking;The Network that Won Jeopardy: Watson Supercomputing;Cloud computing networks;Open Standards for Cloud Networking;Software Defined Networking and OpenFlow;Emerging technologies & Industry Directions; Appendix A – Measurement Conversion Tables; Appendix B – Physical Constraints; Appendix C – OSI Model; Appendix D – Network Standards; Appendix E – Fiber Optic Fundamentals & Laser Safety
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >