Handbook of Liver Diseaseby Lawrence S. Friedman
The Handbook of Liver Disease, 3rd Edition, by Drs. Lawrence S. Friedman and Emmet B. Keeffe, gives you quick reference to the most recent diagnostic and treatment options for patients with liver disorders. International authorities share the latest clinical findings and procedures to help you expertly manage illnesses like hepatitis B and C and hepatocellular
The Handbook of Liver Disease, 3rd Edition, by Drs. Lawrence S. Friedman and Emmet B. Keeffe, gives you quick reference to the most recent diagnostic and treatment options for patients with liver disorders. International authorities share the latest clinical findings and procedures to help you expertly manage illnesses like hepatitis B and C and hepatocellular carcinoma, as well as apply new practices like genetic testing, noninvasive imaging techniques, and so much more. Quickly access updated information on all aspects of liver disease including new drugs, therapy trials, and post-transplant conditions with this full-color, templated edition–in print and online at www.expertconsult.com.
- Expedite diagnostic and therapeutic decision making with a highly templated outline format that uses full-color illustrations, tables, algorithms and figures, key point boxes, and alert symbols to present information at a glance.
- Apply some of the latest treatments for liver disease including the role of pretreatment IL28B testing for patients with hepatitis B and C; radiofrequency ablation and sorafenib in cases of hepatocellular carcinoma; the use of the drug rifaximin to treat hepatic encephalopathy; and much more.
Make optimal use of genetic testing to assess your patients’ risk of metabolic liver disease and to personalize treatment regimens for chronic hepatitis C.
- Offer your liver transplantation patients the best prognosis and follow-up with the latest information on outcomes and the management of complications.
Use blood test panels and noninvasive imaging techniques to evaluate the degree of liver fibrosis.
- Make informed treatment decisions with the latest clinical trial results for portal hypertension, autoimmune liver diseases, acute liver failure, and hepatic infections.
- Search the complete text online, download all the images, and test your knowledge with 200 board-style review questions at www.expertconsult.com.
Description: The 34 chapters of this book are well divided into the major syndromes of presentations of liver disease, complications of cirrhosis and liver failure, specific liver pathology, and liver-related issues in systemic conditions or situations. This would properly cover most presentations of liver disease to meet the objectives of the editors.
Purpose: The purpose is to provide rapid access in a concise practical format to all aspects in liver disease.
Audience: The audience includes practitioners in primary care, gastroenterology, and hepatology.
Features: The multiple contributors have faithfully followed the format with key points, brief overviews and pathogenesis, and practical contributions in the areas of diagnostic tests and treatments. The tables are high quality providing, in most cases, a very rapid access to information. The usefulness of practical guidelines in the viral hepatitis chapter are limited, however, since at the time of publication some currently used therapies had yet to receive FDA approval.
Assessment: As an alternative to the encyclopedic texts in liver diseases, two books are available: Kaplowitz's Liver and Biliary Disease, 2nd edition (Williams & Wilkins, 1996) and Sherlock and Dooley's Diseases of the Liver and Biliary System, 10th edition (Blackwell Science, 1997). This handbook is also high quality but easier to handle. It also provides faster access to the information sought by busy practitioners. Overall, this is an excellent addition to the library of gastroenterologists, hepatologists, and internists. Based on its format, it will require frequent editions to meet the objectives set by the editors.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 14 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews