- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
The demand for academic coursework and corporate training programs using the Internet and computer-mediated communication networks increases daily. The development and implementation of these new programs requires that traditional teaching techniques and course work be significantly reworked. This Handbook consists of 20 chapters authored by experts in the field of teaching in the online environment to adult students enrolled in graduate university degree programs, corporate training programs, and continuing ...
Ships from: Chatham, NJ
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
The demand for academic coursework and corporate training programs using the Internet and computer-mediated communication networks increases daily. The development and implementation of these new programs requires that traditional teaching techniques and course work be significantly reworked. This Handbook consists of 20 chapters authored by experts in the field of teaching in the online environment to adult students enrolled in graduate university degree programs, corporate training programs, and continuing education courses. The book is organized to first lay a conceptual and theoretical foundation for implementing any online learning program. Topics such as psychological and group dynamics, ethical issues, and curriculum design are covered in this section. Following the establishment of this essential framework are separate sections devoted to the practical issues specific to developing a program in either an academic or corporate environment. Whether building an online learning program from the ground up or making adjustments to improve the effectiveness of an existing program, this book is an invaluable resource.
"Business and Learning have enjoyed a symbiotic relationship in our culture. The pace of change, however, has created separation between these two vital elements. The "Handbook of Online Learning" showcases the latest thinking and applications in learning delivery, and offers real promise that the gap is being bridged."
"The authors of this book are all experienced distance educators who know what the issues are: How are people engaged in teaching and learning at a distance "present" to one another? How do you create a community in the class? How can a teacher deal with an obstreperous student? What are the teaching/learning environments in universities and corporations as they affect distance education? The essays in this book inhabit the border where the idea of distance education meets the reality. They give practical advice and provide examples informed by both theory and experience. "
This book provides astute, fresh insights, thoroughly explored, about what drives e-learning, and its diversity in distance education and corporate training. Every education and business leader must be thinking about the learning transformation taking place. This book is a must for every library as a collection of readings explaining best practices and blueprints for developing 21st century education and corporate training.
PART I. Changing Philosophies and Theories of Learning
1. Overview: Changing Universities and Learning Environments of the Future - K.E. Rudestam & J. Schoenholtz-Read
2. Presence in "Teleland," - G. Fontaine
3. Critical Dialogue Online: Personas, Covenants, & Candlepower - B. Hudson
4. The Case of the Inflammatory E-Mail: Building Culture & Community in Online Academic Environments - J.J. Shapiro & S.K. Hughes
5. Uncertain Frontiers: Exploring Ethical Dimensions of Online Learning - D. Agger-Gupta
PART II: Implementation Of Online Learning
6. The Design & Delivery of Interactive Online Graduate Education - J. Stevens-Long & C. Crowell
7. Beyond the Looking Glass: What Faculty & Students Need to be Successful Online - R.M. Palloff & K.Pratt
8. The Jungle Syndrome: Some Perils & Pleasures of Learning Without Walls - B. Hudson
9. Harnessing the Power of Complexity in an Online Learning Environment - J. Beaubien
10. Leadership in Online Education: Strategies for Effective Online Administration & Governance - C.A. Olson
11. Breaking Through Zero-Sum Academics: Two Students' Perspectives on Computer-Mediated Learning Environments - S. Hamilton & J. Zimmerman
B. PROGRAMS/ENVIRONMENTS: CORPORATE
12. Synthesizing Higher Education & Corporate Learning Strategies - B. La Rue
13. Real-World Learning in the Virtual Classroom: Computer-Mediated Learning in the Corporate World - D. Smith
14.THE EXECUTIVE MASTER CLASS™: Cyberspace & the New Frontiers of Executive Education - B. La Rue & M. R. Sobol
15. Online Knowledge Communities & their Role in Organizational Learning - M.D. Neff
16. Designing & Using a Course in Organization Design to Facilitate Corporate Learning in the Online Environment - T.C. Gibbons & R.S. Brenowitz
17. Teaching Virtual Leadership: Using the Case Method Online - B. Mahone Brown
18. Teaching Statistics Online - P. Hodges & L. Saba
19. Healthcare Meets Technology: Web-Based Professional Training, Consultation, & Collaboration - Collaboration D.S. Janoff
20. A Virtual Knowledge Café - B. Gyllenpalm