Table of Contents
Section I: The Language Learner
Nancy Roser, Maria Franquiz, Allison Skerrett
1. Valdez, Veronica. & Callahan, Rebecca.
Who is Learning Language(s) in Today’s Schools?
2. Cazden, Courtney.
As Learners Acquire Language
3. Escamilla, Kathy. & Hopewell, Susan.
When Learners Speak Two or More Languages
4. Ball, Arnetha., Skerrett, Allison.; & Martinez, Ramon.
Research on Diverse Students in Culturally and Linguistically Complex Language Arts Classrooms
5. Franquiz, Maria. & Pratt, Ellen.
Crossing Borders with Language: Teachers and the Transformative Potential of Professional Development Opportunities
Section II: Contexts for Language Learning
Donna E. Alvermann, Christine A. Mallozzi, Cheryl A. McLean
6. Morrow, Lesley Mandel & Dougherty, Susan
Early Literacy Development: Merging Perspectives That Influence Practice
7. Strickland, Dorothy & Townsend, Dianna
The Development of Literacy in the Elementary School
8. Many, Joyce E.; Ariail, Mary & Fox, Dana L.
Language Arts Learning in the Middle Grades
9. Bean, Thomas W. & Harper, Helen.
The Context of English Language Arts Learning: The High School Years
10. Morrell, Ernest.
Context Specific Literacy Instruction
11. Muth, Bill & Perry, Kristen.
Adult Literacy: A Review from Two Perspectives
12. Brock, Cynthia; Boyd, Fenice; & Pennington, Julie.
Variation in Language and the Use of Language Across Contexts: Implications for Literacy Teaching and Learning
13. Paratore, Jeanne R. & Yaden, Jr., David B.
Family Literacy on the Defensive: The Defunding of Even Start—Omen or Opportunity?
14. Vasudevan, Lalitha & Wissman, Kelly.
Out-of-School Literacy Contexts
15. Luke, Allan, Iyer, Radha; & Doherty, Catherine.
Literacy Education in the Context of Globalisation
Section III: History and Theoretical Perspectives
Lesley Mandel Morrow, Robert Rueda, Douglas Hartman
16. Hartman, Douglas K. & Monaghan, Jennifer.
Integrating the Elementary Language Arts: An Historical Perspective
17. Levin, Henry.
The Consideration of Costs in Improving Literacy
18. Guthrie, John T.; Taboada, Ana; & Wigfield, Allan.
Alignment of Cognitive Processes in Reading with Motivations for Reading
19. Enciso, Patricia.
Sociocultural Theory: Expanding the Aims and Practices of Language Arts Education
20. Jimenez, Robert T.; Rose, Brian C.; Cole, Mikel W.; & Flushman, Tanya R.
English Language Learners: Language and Relationships
21. Beach, Richard & Swiss, Thomas.
Literary Theories and Teaching of English Language Arts
22. Shanahan, Timothy.
Education Policy and the Language Arts
Section IV: The Many Faces of Texts
Peggy Albers, Vivian Vasquez, Jerome Harste
23. Beach, Richard, Hull, Glynda, and O’Brien, David.
Transforming English Language Arts in a Web 2.0 World
24. Levy, Rachel and Marsh, Jackie.
Literacy and ICT in the Early Years
25. Rowsell, Jennier and Pahl, Kate
The Material and the Situated: What Multimodality and New Literacy Studies Do For Literacy Research
26. Tate, Stacie.
27. Wohlwend, Karen and Lewis, Cynthia.
Critical Literacy, Critical Engagement, and Digital Technology: Convergence and Embodiment in Global Spheres
28. Albers, Peggy, Vasquez, Vivian, and Harste, Jerome C.
Making Visual Analysis Critical
29. Siegel, Margie and Wells-Rowe, Debbie.
Webs of Significance: Semiotic Perspectives on Text
Section V: Teaching the English Language Arts
Karen Wood, Nancy Frey, Wen Ma
30. Hruby, George; Read, Sylvia & Landon-Hays, Melanie.
Tracing Instructional Tensions in the Teaching of the English Language Arts: A Primer
31. Tschannen-Moran, Megan & MacFarlane, Bronwyn.
I Know I Can!: Teacher Self-efficacy in the English Language Arts Classroom
32. Edmiston, Brian.
Teaching for Transformation: Drama and Language Arts Education
33. Ehri, Linnea.
Teaching Phonemic Awareness and Phonics in the Language Arts Classroom: A Developmental Approach
34. Rasinski, Timothy.
The Art and Science of Teaching Reading Fluency
35. Templeton, Shane.
Teaching Spelling in the English/Language Arts Classroom
36. Fisher, Peter; Blachowicz, Camille; & Watts-Taffe, Susan.
Vocabulary Instruction: Three Contemporary Issues
37. Fisher, Douglas, Lapp, Diane, & Frey, Nancy.
Comprehension: The Cooperation of Many Forces
38. Roser, Nancy; Martinez, Miriam; & Wood, Karen.
Recent Research on Students’ Literary Responses
39. Hansen, Jane & Kissel, Brian.
K-12 Students as Writers: Research and Practice
40. McLaughlin, Maureen & DeVoogd, Glen.
Critical Literacy as Comprehension: Understanding at Deeper Levels
41. Hobbs, Renee & RobbGrieco, Michael.
Passive Dupes, Code Breakers or Savvy Users: Theorizing Media Literacy Education in English Language Arts
42. Nelson, Nancy.
The Relevance of Rhetoric
43. Gebhard, Meg & Martin, J. R.
Grammar and Literacy Learning
Section VI: Assessment of English Language Arts Teaching and Learning
Jennifer D. Turner, Patricia Ruggiano Schmidt, Peter Afflerbach
44. Afflerbach, Peter & Clark, Summer.
Diversity and English Language Arts Assessment.
45. Coiro, Julie & Castek, Jill.
Assessment Frameworks for Teaching and Learning English Language Arts in a Digital Age
46. Schmidt, Patricia R. & Singh, Sunita.
Authentic Professional Development and Assessment for Language Arts Teachers Capacity for Change
47. Turner, Jennifer D. & Hoeltzel, Chrystine.
Assessing Every Child: Using Purposeful Language Arts Assessments in Diverse Classrooms
48. Klingner, Janette K.; Dunsmore, KaiLonnie; & Edwards, Patricia.
Issues in the Assessment of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Special Needs
49. Gunderson, Lee; Odo, Dennis Murphy & D’Silva, Reginald.
Assessing the English Language Learner (ELL)
Section VII: Methods of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts
David Bloome, Thandeka Chapman, Peter Freebody
50. Bloome, David; Chapman, Thandeka; & Freebody, Peter.
Complexity, Multiplicity, ‘Timeliness’, and Substantive Engagement: Methodologies for Researching the Teaching of the English Language Arts
51. Athanases, Steven Z.
Research as Praxis: Documenting the Dialectical Relationship Between Theory and Practice
52. Freebody, Peter.
Policy and Research in the English Language Arts: Massive, Inclusive, and Artful Design Choices
53. Moss, Gemma.
Ethnographic Research in Teaching and Learning the English Language Arts: Studying the Cultural Contexts of Teaching and Learning the English Language Arts
54. Carter, Stephanie.
Analyzing Text and Talk through Critical Discourse Analysis
55. Chapman, Thandeka K. & Kinloch, Valerie.
Emic Perspectives of Research
56. Calfee, Robert C. & Chamblis, Marilyn.
Research Methodologies for Large-Scale Instructional and Intervention Studies
57. McNaughton, Stuart.
Child Development Studies over Time
58. Smagorinsky, Peter.
Theory and Method in Research on Literacy Practices: Adaptations and Alignment in Research and Praxis
59. Liddicoat, Anthony T.
English in the Era of Globalisation: Implications for Research Methodologies for English Language Arts
60. Gutierrez, Kris D.; Bien, Andrea C.; & Selland, Mackenzie K.
Syncretic Approaches to Studying Movement and Hybridity in Literacy Practices
61. Willis, Arlette.
Critical Approaches to Research in English Language Arts