Handbook of Small Animal Toxicology and Poisonings / Edition 2by Roger W. Gfeller, Shawn P. Messonnier
Pub. Date: 08/13/2003
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This time-saving, pocket-size guide offers a thorough understanding of toxicology that is essential to diagnosing and treating the complex problems resulting from toxin ingestion, a leading cause of morbidity and mortality in animals. The 2nd edition covers patient assessment and treatment techniques, as well as information on over 100 categories of toxic agents.… See more details below
This time-saving, pocket-size guide offers a thorough understanding of toxicology that is essential to diagnosing and treating the complex problems resulting from toxin ingestion, a leading cause of morbidity and mortality in animals. The 2nd edition covers patient assessment and treatment techniques, as well as information on over 100 categories of toxic agents. Discussions of each agent include its uses, mechanism, pathophysiology, clinical signs, diagnosis, common products containing the agent, and acute and long-term treatment. A new avian section makes this edition even more comprehensive and clinically useful.
• Over 1,000 toxic agents are discussed, offering a thorough presentation of toxicology relevant to veterinary practice.
• An easy-to-use alphabetical organization with section tabs for quick reference makes information easy to locate in any setting.
• Detailed diagnostic and treatment information is presented in an appealing, visually accessible approach.
• A greater emphasis on the ingestion of human medications addresses this common concern in detail.
• Additional plant and chemical toxins are discussed to highlight potential poisonings seen in veterinary practice.
• A new avian section focuses on specific considerations for treating birds.
• Redesigned icons draw attention to important points and sections to improve the text's readability.
• A four-page, full-color insert features approximately 24 color photographs of poisonous plants for quick identification.
• All content has been reviewed by board-certified toxicologists to ensure that it is up-to-date and accurate.
• A second color throughout makes the icons more readable, the design more inviting, and critical information more accessible.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 4.30(w) x 7.60(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of Contents
SECTION ONE: Rapid Patient Evaluation and Symptomatic Treatment of the Poisoned Pet
• Cardiovascular system and circulatory system
• Enhanced removal and elimination
SECTION TWO: Toxic Drugs and Chemicals
SECTION THREE: Toxic Plants
SECTION FOUR: Avian Toxicology
Appendix A Formulary
Appendix B Daily fluid requirements
Appendix C Recipes for dialysate and continuous drug infusions
Appendix D Poison treatment flow chart
Color Plates Common Toxicants
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >