Hank Rosso's Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising / Edition 2by Eugene R. Tempel
This thoroughly revised and updated edition of the classic book in the field provides a conceptual foundation for the fund raising profession. Hank Rosso's Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising examines the profession.s principles, strategies, and methods and is filled with practical examples. Guided by the enduring philosophy of fund raising master Henry A./i>… See more details below
This thoroughly revised and updated edition of the classic book in the field provides a conceptual foundation for the fund raising profession. Hank Rosso's Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising examines the profession.s principles, strategies, and methods and is filled with practical examples. Guided by the enduring philosophy of fund raising master Henry A. Rosso, contributors explain the reasoning behind the planning and selection of strategies for all fund raising activities, including building your case for support, approaching donors, managing campaigns, and demonstrating stewardship.
"The greatest compliment a master teacher can be paid is to have his students carry on in grand fashion his work. His students learned well and many have achieved excellence. Hank's work lives on in their words."
— Kent E. Dove, senior adviser, Indiana University Foundation
"There are few true classics in the literature upon which any field of practice is based. Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising serves the nonprofit sector with a distinctive blend of quality leadership and sound guidance. Fund development success is built on the strategic integration of the contents of this important publication."
— Robert F. Long, vice president for programs, W.K. Kellogg Foundation
"Excellence in Fund Raising includes the different cultures of giving with the latest in diversity fund raising . . . a must for any nonprofit leader."
— Rebecca Adamson, founder and president, First Nations Development Institute
"As the medical profession has its Gray's Anatomy, the fund raising profession now has an equivalent text. I have practiced this profession for forty-two years and I am confident that there is nowhere else one could or need go beyond Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising, second edition, to gain an understanding of the comprehensive anatomy of fund raising. This book should be must reading for all who currently practice as a reminder of all the great and lasting principles that define this calling and for all who aspire to enter this noble and fulfilling profession."
— Charles R. Stephens, managing partner, Skystone Ryan, Inc.
Table of Contents
Tables, Figures, and Exhibits.
Foreword (Paulette Maehara).
A Word on the First Edition.
PART ONE: FUND RAISING: CONTEXT AND PHILOSOPHY.
1. Contemporary Dynamics of Philanthropy (Eugene R. Tempel).
2. A Philosophy of Fund Raising (Henry A. Rosso, Introduction by Eugene R. Tempel).
PART TWO: FUNDAMENTALS OF SUCCESSFUL FUND RAISING.
3. Plan to Succeed (Timothy L. Seiler).
4. Organizational Strengths and Vulnerabilities (Eugene R. Tempel).
5. Developing a Constituency for Fund Raising (Timothy L. Seiler).
6. Developing and Articulating a Case for Support (Timothy L. Seiler).
7. The Total Development Plan (Timothy L. Seiler).
PART THREE: BUILDING BLOCKS FOR SUCCESSFUL FUND RAISING.
8. The Annual Fund (Henry A. Rosso, Introduction by Robert Schwartzberg).
9. Gifts of Significance (James M. Hodge).
10. Building Endowment (Edward C. Schumacher).
11. Capital Campaigns (Robert Pierpont).
12. Establishing a Planned Giving Program (Dean Regenovich).
PART FOUR: SOURCES OF FUND RAISING.
13. Individuals as Donors (Margaret M. Maxwell).
14. Corporate Giving and Fund Raising (Dwight F. Burlingame).
15. Foundation Fund Raising (Gwendolyn Perry).
16. Women as Donors (Andrea R. Kaminski).
17. Trends in Major Donor Behavior and Innovative Approaches to Philanthropy (Lilya Wagner).
18. Embracing Diversity in Fund Raising (Lilya Wagner).
PART FIVE: SUCCESSFUL FUND RAISING METHODS.
19. Direct Mail (Mal Warwick).
20. The Internet as a Fund Raising Vehicle (Theodore R. Hart).
21. Special Events for the Twenty-First Century (Alan L. Wendroff).
22. Fund Raising at the Grassroots Level (Kim Klein).
PART SIX: MANAGING SUCCESSFUL FUND RAISING.
23. Managing the Fund Raising Program (Elizabeth A. Elkas).
24. Leadership and Team Building (Kay Sprinkel Grace).
25. The Trustee's Role in Fund Raising (Skip Henderson).
26. Thinking Strategically About Information (Sheree Parris Nudd).
27. The Effective Use of Technology in Nonprofits (Janice Kercheville, Jim Kercheville).
28. Accountability and Budgeting: Assessing Costs, Results, and Outcomes (James M. Greenfield).
29. Selecting and Working with Fund Raising Consultants (Jim Reid).
PART SEVEN: ETHICS, STEWARDSHIP, AND THE FUTURE OF THE FUND RAISING PROFESSION.
30. Ethical Frameworks for Fund Raising (Eugene R. Tempel).
31. Practicing Stewardship (Daniel Conway).
32. International Perspectives on Fund Raising (Lilya Wagner, Marcella Orvañanos de Rovzar, Ben Imdieke).
33. Fund Raising as a Profession (Alice Green Burnette).
34. Resources for Strengthening Fund Raising Skills (Lilya Wagner).
Glossary of Fund Raising Terms.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >