Hans Lewy Selecta: Volume 1 / Edition 1by David Kinderlehrer
The work of Hans Lewy (19041988) has had a profound influence in the direction of applied mathematics and partial differential equations, in particular, from the late 1920s. Two of the particulars are well known. The CourantFriedrichsLewy condition (1928), or CFL condition, was devised to obtain existence and approximation results. This condition,… See more details below
The work of Hans Lewy (19041988) has had a profound influence in the direction of applied mathematics and partial differential equations, in particular, from the late 1920s. Two of the particulars are well known. The CourantFriedrichsLewy condition (1928), or CFL condition, was devised to obtain existence and approximation results. This condition, relating the time and spatial discretizations for finite difference schemes, is now universally employed in the simulation of solutions of equations describing propagation phenomena. Lewy's example of a linear equation with no solution (1957), with its attendant consequence that most equations have no solution, was not merely an unexpected fact, but changed the viewpoint of the entire field.
Lewy made pivotal contributions in many other areas, for example, the regularity theory of elliptic equations and systems, the MongeAmpère Equation, the Minkowski Problem, the asymptotic analysis of boundary value problems, and several complex variables. He was among the first to study variational inequalities. In much of his work, his underlying philosophy was that simple tools of function theory could help one understand the essential concepts embedded in an issue, although at a cost in generality. This approach was extremely successful.
In this two-volume work, most all of Lewy's papers are presented, in chronological order. They are preceded by several short essays about Lewy himself, prepared by Helen Lewy, Constance Reid, and David Kinderlehrer, and commentaries on his work by Erhard Heinz, Peter Lax, Jean Leray, Richard MacCamy, François Treves, and Louis Nirenberg. Additionally, there are Lewy's own remarks on the occasion of his honorary degree from the University of Bonn.
Table of Contents
• Hans Lewy Opera
• Hans Lewy: A Brief Biographical Sketch / David Kinderlehrer
• The Music in Hans Lewy's Life / Helen Lewy
• Hans Lewy: 19041988 / Constance Reid
• Commentary on Lewy's Papers / Erhard Heinz
• Hyperbolic Difference Equations: A Review of the CourantFreidrichsLewy Paper in the Light of Recent Developments / Peter D. Lax
• Les Premiers Travaux de Hans Lewy / Jean Leray
• Confluence of Boundary Conditions / Richard MacCamy
• Comments on Some of Hans Lewy's Work / Louis Nirenberg
• Three Discoveries and One Question of Hans Lewy in CR Analysis / François Treves
• Crisis in Mathematics / Hans Lewy
• Selected Publications of Hans Lewy
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >