Health Issues in the Black Community / Edition 1by Ronald L. Braithwaite, Sandra E. Taylor
Pub. Date: 01/28/1992
Presents an in-depth examination of the health problems confronting the black communityand offers health professionals strategies for providing improved health care and disease prevention efforts to this population. In twenty-five original chapters, it provides a detailed look at how the AIDS epidemic, chemical depAndency, cancer, violence, sickle-cell anemia
Presents an in-depth examination of the health problems confronting the black communityand offers health professionals strategies for providing improved health care and disease prevention efforts to this population. In twenty-five original chapters, it provides a detailed look at how the AIDS epidemic, chemical depAndency, cancer, violence, sickle-cell anemia, infant mortality, lead poisoning, and other health risks are affecting the black community.
Table of Contents
Part One: Health Status in Social Context.
1. African-American Health: An Introduction (Ronald L. Braithwaite, Sandra E. Taylor).
2. A Demographic Profile of African Americans (Christiane B. Hale).
3. The Mental Health Status of Black Americans: An Overview (Sandra E. Taylor).
4. The Health Status of Black Women (Byllye Y. Avery).
Part Two: Critical Health Topics.
5. AIDS/HIV Epidemics in the Black Community (Bill Jenkins).
6. Prevention, Intervention, and Treatment of Chemical Dependency in the Black Community(Donnie W. Watson).
7. Alcoholism and the African-American Community (Creigs C. Beverly).
8. Heart Disease, Stroke, and Hypertension in Blacks (Carolyn J. Hildreth, Elijah Saunders).
9. Cancer and Black Americans (Claudia R. Baquet, Tyson Gibbs).
10. Diabetes and the Black Community (Frederick G. Murphy, M. Joycelyn Elders).
11. Homicide and Violence: Contemporary Health Problems for America's Black Community (Deborah Prothrow-Stith, Howard Spivak).
Part Three: Infants, Youth, and Late Adulthood.
12. Homeless Women with Children (Aisha Gilliam).
13. "Too Soon, Too Small, Too Sick'': Black Infant Mortality (Virginia Davis Floyd).
14. Lead Poisoning: A Modern Plague Among African-American Children (Wornie L. Reed).
15. Sickle Cell Anemia and African Americans (Charles F. Whitten).
16. Adolescent Pregnancy in the African-American Community (Joyce A. Ladner, Ruby Morton Gourdine).
17. Elderly Issues in the African-American Community (Mary S. Harper).
Part Four: Health Education and Resource Development.
18. Health Education and Black Health Status (Rueben C. Warren).
19. Indigenous Community Health Workers in the 1960s and Beyond (Doris Y. Wilkinson).
20. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Strategies for African Americans: A Conceptual Model (Collins O. Airhihenbuwa).
21. Effective Intervention Strategies for Producing Black Health Care Providers (Moses K. Woode, Kathleen Bodisch Lynch).
Part Five: The Future of Health for African Americans.
22. Reproductive Rights and the Challenge for African Americans (Faye Wattleton).
23. Health Policies and the Black Community (Bailus Walker, Jr.).
24. Coalition Partnerships for Health Promotion and Empowerment(Ronald L. Braithwaite).
25. The Health of the Black Community in the Twenty-first Century: A Futuristic Perspective (Stephen B. Thomas).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >