Ships same day or next business day via UPS (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes)! Used sticker and some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access ...code or dust jacket.Read moreShow Less
8th Edition. Used books are NOT guaranteed to contain components and/or supplements such as: Access Codes or working CD's/DVD's! Ships fast! Expedited shipping 2-4 business days; ...Standard shipping 7-14 business days. Ships from USA!Read moreShow Less
Used - Good TEXTBOOK ONLY 8th Edition May contain highlighting/underlining/notes/etc. May have used stickers on cover. Ships same or next day. Expedited shipping takes 2-3 ...business days; standard shipping takes 4-14 business days.Read moreShow Less
Covering strategies for effective communication, Health Professional and Patient Interaction, 8th Edition provides the tools to help you establish positive patient relationships built on respect. Practical examples and scenarios show how to apply respect and professionalism to patients of various ages and levels of impairment. New to this edition is an Evolve companion website with video clips and simulation activities, each showing the principles of respectful interactions between health care professionals and patients. Written by an expert author team of Ruth Purtilo, Amy Haddad, and Regina Doherty, this resource addresses respect in the context of different practice settings, a diverse society, and difficult situations.
Patient Cases introduce the patient’s point of view to illustrate key principles and encourage a more personal connection.
Reflections boxes challenge you to apply critical thinking skills and your personal experience to different scenarios.
Questions for Thought and Discussion at the end of each section help you apply your knowledge to a variety of situations.
Interdisciplinary approach addresses basic issues that apply to many different healthcare disciplines.
Strategies for effective communication are shown with patient examples and scenarios, applied to patients of all ages and with various levels of physical and emotional impairment.
An emphasis on respect and ethics sets up a basis for building positive relationships with patients.
Updatedhealth care terminology keeps you current with communication in today’s health care settings.
Expanded content on diversity reflects diverse patient populations and shows how to respect differences.
NEW author Regina Doherty brings an occupational therapy perspective to this edition.
Covers health professional & patient & their interactions/relationship including death.
"The book is very in-depth and is based on the idea of respect being the cornerstone of every interaction...This book is immensely valuable if like me you feel you could improve your communication skills and your actions in the environment you work in."
Part I: Creating a Context of Respect 1. Respect: The Difference it Makes
2. Respect in the Organizational Settings of Health Care
3. Respect in a Diverse Society Part II: Respect for Yourself 4. Respect for Yourself during Your Student Years
5. Respect for Yourself in Your Professional Capacity Part III: Respect for the Patient’s Situation 6. Respect for Challenges Facing Patients
7. Respect for the Patient’s Significant Relationships Part IV: Respect through Communication 8. The Patient’s Story
9. Respectful Communication in an Information Age Part V: Components of Respectful Interaction 10. Professional Relatedness Built on Respect
11. Professional Boundaries Guided by Respect NEW! Part VI: Some Special Challenges
12. Respectful Interaction When the Patient is Dying
13. Respectful Interaction in Difficult Situations Part VII: Respectful Interaction Across the Life Span 14. Respectful Interaction: Working with Newborns, Infants, Toddlers, or Preschoolers
15. Respectful Interaction: Working with Children and Adolescents
16. Respectful Interaction: Working with Adults
17. Respectful Interaction: Working with Older Adults