Health Professional and Patient Interaction / Edition 4by Ruth B. Purtilo
Covering strategies for effective communication, Health Professional and Patient Interaction, 8th Edition provides the tools to help you establish positive patient relationships built on respect. Practical examples and scenarios show how to apply respect and professionalism to patients of various ages and levels of impairment. New to this edition is an/b>… See more details below
Covering strategies for effective communication, Health Professional and Patient Interaction, 8th Edition provides the tools to help you establish positive patient relationships built on respect. Practical examples and scenarios show how to apply respect and professionalism to patients of various ages and levels of impairment. New to this edition is an Evolve companion website with video clips and simulation activities, each showing the principles of respectful interactions between health care professionals and patients. Written by an expert author team of Ruth Purtilo, Amy Haddad, and Regina Doherty, this resource addresses respect in the context of different practice settings, a diverse society, and difficult situations.
- Patient Cases introduce the patient’s point of view to illustrate key principles and encourage a more personal connection.
- Reflections boxes challenge you to apply critical thinking skills and your personal experience to different scenarios.
- Questions for Thought and Discussion at the end of each section help you apply your knowledge to a variety of situations.
- Interdisciplinary approach addresses basic issues that apply to many different healthcare disciplines.
- Strategies for effective communication are shown with patient examples and scenarios, applied to patients of all ages and with various levels of physical and emotional impairment.
- An emphasis on respect and ethics sets up a basis for building positive relationships with patients.
- Updated health care terminology keeps you current with communication in today’s health care settings.
- Expanded content on diversity reflects diverse patient populations and shows how to respect differences.
- NEW author Regina Doherty brings an occupational therapy perspective to this edition.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
Table of Contents
|Pt. 1||Creating a Context of Respect||1|
|Ch. 1||Respect: The Difference It Makes||3|
|Ch. 2||Respect in the Instutitional Settings of Health Care||19|
|Ch. 3||Respect in a Diverse Society||35|
|Pt. 2||Respect for Yourself||61|
|Ch. 4||Respect for Yourself as a Student||63|
|Ch. 5||Respect for Yourself in Your Professional Capacity||77|
|Ch. 6||Enhancing Self-Respect through Good Persronal Habits||89|
|Pt. 3||Respect for the Patient's Situation||107|
|Ch. 7||Challenges to Patients||109|
|Ch. 8||Respect for the Patient's Personal Relationships||127|
|Pt. 4||Respect through Communication||141|
|Ch. 9||The Patient's Story||143|
|Ch. 10||Respectful Communication in an Information Age||157|
|Pt. 5||Components of Respectful Interaction||187|
|Ch. 11||Professional Relatedness Built on Respect||189|
|Ch. 12||Professional Boundaries Guided by Respect||207|
|Ch. 13||Professional Closeness: Respect at Its Best||223|
|Pt. 6||Respectful Interaction: Working with Patients Effectively||237|
|Ch. 14||Respectful Interaction: Working with Newborns, Infants, and Toddlers||239|
|Ch. 15||Respectful Interaction: Working with the Child and Adolescent||257|
|Ch. 16||Respectful Interaction: Working with the Adult||269|
|Ch. 17||Respectful Interaction: Working with the Older Adult||289|
|Pt. 7||Some Special Challenges||309|
|Ch. 18||Respectful Interaction When the Patient Is Dying||311|
|Ch. 19||Respectful Interaction in Other Difficult Situations||337|
|Questions for Thought and Discussion||352|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >