The Heart and the Fountain: An Anthology of Jewish Mystical Experiencesby Joseph Dan
Pub. Date: 10/28/2003
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA
Joseph Dan is one of the world's leading authorities on Jewish mysticism. In this superb anthology, Dan not only presents illuminating excerpts from the most important mystical texts, but also delves into the very meaning of mysticism itself. Dan takes readers through the historical development of Jewish mysticism, from late antiquity to the modern period. He… See more details below
Joseph Dan is one of the world's leading authorities on Jewish mysticism. In this superb anthology, Dan not only presents illuminating excerpts from the most important mystical texts, but also delves into the very meaning of mysticism itself. Dan takes readers through the historical development of Jewish mysticism, from late antiquity to the modern period. He explores the Kabbalah, the esoteric tradition that delves into the secrets delivered by God to Moses on Mount Sinai, the emergence of Hasidism, and much more. He presents the great texts, from Hekhalot Rabbati, "The Greater Book of Divine Palaces," set in the temple in Jerusalem; to the apocalyptic vision of Abraham Abulafia in the thirteenth century; to the Zohar, perhaps the best-known volume of all. For each piece, he offers an extended introduction that deftly places the work in the context of its time and its antecedents.
"Mysticism is that which cannot be expressed in words, period," Dan writes. In this remarkable volume, he guides us through that seemingly impenetrable barrier to show how the inexpressible has been expressed in some of the most profound and challenging writing in existence.
- Oxford University Press, USA
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.20(w) x 6.10(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of Contents
I. "Religion, Mysticism, and Language"
II. "Jewish Mysticism"
III. "Jewish Concept of Language: The Midrash"
IV. "Historical Outlines: Late Antiquity"
V. "Historical Outlines: The Middle Ages"
VI. "Historical Outlines: The Modern Period"
VII. "The Christian Kabbalah"
1. The Revelation of the Secret of the World
2. Visions of Rabbi Akibah and Rabbi Ishmael
3. The Deification of Enoch
4. Rabbi Bahya Ibn Paquda: To See Without Eyes, To Hear Without Ears
5. Gabirol: God and the Universe
6. Addressing an Emanated Godhead
7. The Voice of God Over the Water: The Worship of the Holy Name
8. The Rokeah: The Devotion in Prayer
9. Divine Will Clothed in Human Will: The Intention of Prayer in Early Kabbalah
10. Abraham Abulafia: An Apocalyptic Vision
11. The Mystical Immersion in Names and Letters: Shaarey Zedek
12. Zohar: The Beginning
13. Rabbi Simeon Bar Yohai and his Society of Mystics
14. The Zohar: The Wondrous Child
15. To Write Without Pen and Ink
16. Joseph Della Reina: From Experience to Legend
17. Walking with the Shekhinah: The Palm Tree of Devorah
18. The Messianic Dreams of Rabbi Hayyim Vital
19. A Prophetic Vision by Nathan of Gaza
20. Nathan of Gaza Facing the Monsters of Evil: The Myth of the Doenmeh
21. Luzzatto: Messianism and Sanctity
22. The Mystical Prayer of Rabbi Israel Ba'al Shem Tov
23. Rabbi Nahman of Bratslav: A Vision and a Dream
24. Bialik: Mystical Poetry and Mystical Language
25. The Sweet Voice of the Lord: Four Contemporary Israeli Poets
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >