- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
• A 20 percent fat diet--which gets results because it is strict enough to make a difference but lenient enough for people to stick with it
• A detailed investigation into the genetic basis of high cholesterol--and what to do about it
• A thorough explanation of the role of estrogen in preventing heart disease--dispelling the confusion surrounding this issue and offering clear, reassuring advice
• A non-judgemental and supportive approach to cholesterol and blood pressure medications that explains when taking medication is appropriate and even necessary
• Vital, up-to-date information about the risks of elevated lipoprotein (a) and homocysteine levels
• An energizing section on making exercise an exciting and fulfilling part of one's life, developed in tandem with an exercise physiologist
• A concrete plan for giving up smoking--that really works!
• An analysis of the connection between stress and heart disease, with tested stress-reduction techniques developed by a psychiatrist
• A selection of delicious and easy low-fat recipes developed by a professional chef--including pizzas, pasta, and desserts
• Straightforward advice and suggestions from a registered dietitian about how you can design your own low-fat, low-cholesterol meals
And, at the core of Heart Fitness for Life are the stories of nine patients, ordinary men and women, who took on the challenge of fighting heart disease with Dr. McGowan's program--and who have won extraordinary victories.
At last, in one volume, you have the expert advice and information you need to truly live well, whether you are a man or a woman, looking to prevent or reverse cardiac disease. By combining good food and good health with authoritative medical information and advice, Dr. McGowan's book truly has the power to change lives.
"...addresses a variety of ideal heart care methods including proper diet, medication, and combative methods."
|1||Am I at Risk for Developing Heart Disease?||10|
|2||A Heart-Healthy Diet: Planning the Diet You Can Live With||40|
|3||Making Exercise a Lifetime Commitment||87|
|4||Quitting: A Tough Task with Great Rewards||120|
|5||Estrogen Replacement Therapy and Your Heart: Sorting Out the Risks and Benefits||144|
|6||Reducing Stress in Your Life||160|
|7||Elevated Blood Pressure: What Can You Do to Lower Your Level?||185|
|8||The Crucial Role of Medications in Lowering Cholesterol and Blood Pressure||200|