Heroes and Heroines Every Child Should Knowby Hamilton Wright Mabie, Kate Stephens, Blanche Ostertag (Illustrator)
From very early times great honor was paid to courage and strength; qualities which won success and impressed the imagination. The first heroes and heroines were gods or demi-gods, or others, who did difficult things, not for themselves but for others. The men and women whose bravery and great deeds are described in these pages have been selected not because they are faultless in character and life, but because they were brave, generous, self-forgetful, self- sacrificing and capable of splendid deeds. Stories of heroes and heroines have often made others strong and brave and true in the face of great perils and tasks, and this book is put forth in the faith that it will not only pass on the fame of the heroes and heroines of the past but help make heroes and heroines in the present.
• * "Heroes Every Child Should Know" is a collection of twenty stories about famous heros: Perseus, Hercules, Daniel, David, St. George, King Arthur, Sir Galahad, Siegfried, Roland, King Alfred, The Cid, Robin Hood, Richard the Lion-Hearted, Saint Louis, William Tell, Robert Bruce, George Washington, Robert E. Lee, Abraham Lincoln, and Father Damien. These men exemplify great courage and perseverance, struggling onward despite great odds against them. Some succeed, some do not, yet they never lose heart.
• * "Heroines Every Child Should Know" similarly pulls together thirteen heroines: Alcestis, Antigone, Iphigenia, Paula, Joan of Arc, Catherine Douglas, Lady Jane Grey, Pocahontas, Flora Macdonald, Madame Roland, Grace Darling, Sister Dora, and Florence Nightingale. While not as physically strong as the men, these women show great mental and emotional strength, and set examples for how to cope with great stress and criticisms, and how to persevere when everyone else gives up.
• * "Heroes Tales Every Child Should Know" and "Heroines Every Child Should Know" were originally published in 1905 and 1908, respectively. This volume faithfully reproduces the stories in those editions.
• * Check our other Children's, Juvenile, and Adult books at www.FlyingChipmunkPublishing.com, or Friend us on Facebook for our latest releases.
- Wilder Publications
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.00(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews