Alan L. Rubin, M.D., is the author of Thyroid For Dummies and Diabetes For Dummies. He has a private practice and has been studying and managing high blood pressure for three decades.
High Blood Pressure For Dummiesby Alan L. Rubin
Just been diagnosed with high blood pressure? Don’t fret you’re not alone. In fact, you’re a member of a club that includes an estimated one-quarter of the world’s population! But just because it’s common doesn’t mean you should treat it lightly. People with high blood pressure are at significantly greater risk for stroke, heart… See more details below
Just been diagnosed with high blood pressure? Don’t fret you’re not alone. In fact, you’re a member of a club that includes an estimated one-quarter of the world’s population! But just because it’s common doesn’t mean you should treat it lightly. People with high blood pressure are at significantly greater risk for stroke, heart attack, kidney failure and blindness. There’s a reason why it’s often referred to as “the silent killer”—most people never experience any symptoms... until it’s too late. Now for some good news: tons of money has been pouring into high blood pressure research over the last couple of decades, and nowadays it is a very manageable condition.
If you think you may be at risk for high blood pressure, or already know that you’ve got it and are looking for the best way to manage it, this book is for you. Written by bestselling health author Dr. Alan Rubin, it clues you in on everything you need to:
- Find out if you have high blood pressure or if you’re at risk
- Determine what type you have and how serious it is
- Understand what causes it
- Know how it affects your body’s organs
- Work with a doctor to get your pressure down
- Take charge of your health and add years to your life
In plain English, Dr. Rubin explains the role of genetics, sex, age, and ethnicity in high blood pressure. He explores lifestyle factors that contribute to high blood pressure. And he offers:
- Expert advice on various blood pressure medications, their effectiveness, side affects, and alternatives
- Nutritional guidelines for managing high blood pressure, including the AMA’s DASH diet
- Tips on how to lose weight, quit smoking, and make other key lifestyle changes guaranteed to get your pressure under control
- Guidance on how to design a blood-pressure-lowering exercise program that you can stick with
- The inside track on alternative treatments, including yoga, meditation, hypnosis, biofeedback, and more
Packed with basic strategies for managing high blood pressure, High Blood Pressure For Dummies will set you on the path to a long and healthy life.
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >