High-Impact Consulting: How Clients and Consultants Can Work Together to Achieve Extraordinary Results / Edition 2by Robert H. Schaffer
Even though corporate clients continue to spend millions of dollars on consultant-based solutions, the success rate of these high-priced remedies is far from what it should be. No matter how wise and creative the input of a consultant, says Robert H. Schaffer, it will pay off only if the client does what is necessary to benefit from the advice. But often there's a… See more details below
Even though corporate clients continue to spend millions of dollars on consultant-based solutions, the success rate of these high-priced remedies is far from what it should be. No matter how wise and creative the input of a consultant, says Robert H. Schaffer, it will pay off only if the client does what is necessary to benefit from the advice. But often there's a big "implementation gap" between what client's must do to make a project succeed and what they are actually able and willing to do.
In this new and revised edition of the landmark book High-Impact Consulting, Robert H. Schaffer reveals how senior managers unwittingly collude with their consultants to perpetuate the great waste inherent in "the five fatal flaws of conventional consulting." Drawing on his own work with companies— Motorola, Rio Tinto, IBM, General Reinsurance Corporation, The World Bank, and other successful organizations— Schaffer offers a field-tested approach to working with consultants that has proven to get results. He identifies the key elements of an effective project design particularly that project objectives are defined in terms of client results rather than just consultant deliverables. The process enables clients to be certain that the work is carried out in ways that ensure success.
The author explains the importance of accomplishing results quickly and then using these "rapid-cycle wins" as vehicles for sharpening management skills, strengthening work disciplines, and introducing new technology. In addition he tells managers and consultants how they can build on these early successes and tackle larger accomplishments and organization wide improvements.
This thoroughly updated edition features valuable new insights and illustrative cases. It also includes a wealth of practical new tools that make the book a user-friendly, quick reference for both client managers and their consultants.
Table of Contents
Part One: From High-Stakes Gambling to Certain Success.
1. Low-Yield, Conventional Consulting versus High-Yield, High-Impact Consulting.
2. The Five Fatal Flaws of Conventional Consulting.
3. The Bottom-Line Results of High-Impact Consulting.
Part Two: The Results-Driven Architecture of High-Impact Consulting.
4. Define Goals in Terms of Client Results Instead of Consultant Products.
5. Match Project Scope to What the Client Is Ready to Do.
6. Aim for Rapid-Cycle Successes to Generate Momentum.
7. Build a Partnership to Achieve and to Learn.
8. Leverage Resources: More Results with Fewer ConsultantsPart Three: Creating High-Impact Partnerships.
9. Create a Contract for Collaboration Instead of a Proposal for a Job.
10. Senior Managers Must Insist That Their People Produce the Results.
11. Build Communication Bridges and Overcome Anxiety.
12. Test the Shift to High-Impact Consulting: It s All Upside and Risk-Free.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >