Thomas R. Flagel teaches American History at Columbia State Community College in Columbia,Tennessee. He holds degrees from Loras College, Kansas State University,Creighton University, and has studied at the University of Vienna. He currently lives in Franklin, Tennessee.
History Buff's Guide to World War II: Key People, Places and Eventsby Thomas R. Flagel
World War II stands as the most important event of the
At a cost of sixty million lives, the largest war in the history of the world devoured cities, gave birth to horrific new weapons, and involved the three worst mass murderers of all time. It also gave rise to some of the finest acts of courage, sacrifice, and lasting change ever to benefit human civilization.
World War II stands as the most important event of the modern age, but it is often the most misunderstood. Was it inevitable? Could the Axis have won? Was D-Day the largest invasion ever? Who was the greatest military commander? The worst?
Thomas R. Flagel unveils the big picture by using detailed top-ten lists, ranking the best, worst, first, and most significant elements of the largest and deadliest conflict in history.
- The Gathering Storm: What caused the war, what made it span the globe and what did people do to try and stop it from coming.
- Politics: The most influential speeches, the worst tyrants, and the most important acts of government.
- Military Life: The world of unsung soldiers, what they ate, how they lived, and how they died.
- The Home Front: Civilians and the hardships they endured, the songs they sang, and the ways they fought back.
- In Retrospect: The best commanders, worst mistakes, most decisive battles, and greatest heroines.
- Perusing the War: The best avenues for time travel, including historic sites, activities, genealogy, books, and film.
From the rise of Adolf Hitler to the fall of Hiroshima and beyond, The History Buff's Guide? to World War II brings a new and compelling perspective to an epoch that fractured the past and formed our world today.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.04(w) x 8.98(h) x 1.15(d)
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >