History of English Words / Edition 1by Geoffrey Hughes
Pub. Date: 02/29/2000
The history of the English language is a vast and expanding subject. This book traces the stages of the remarkable growth of the language, how it survived being displaced as the official language of England, and how in the last four centuries it has expanded through colonialism, trade and prestige to become the most spoken language in the world.
Table of Contents
List of Sources and Abbreviations.
A Chronology of the English.
1. History in the Language: The Vocabulary as a Historical Repository.
2. The Foundations of English and the Formation of the Base Register.
3. The Norman Elite and the New Language of Power.
4. The Lexical Expansion of the Renaissance.
5. Licentiousness, Decorum and Lexicographical Order; A Short History of the Dictionary.
6. The Lexical Interchange of Imperialism.
7. Lexical Varieties in Modern and Contemporary English.
8. Changes in Lexical Structure.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >