- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
As China continues its rapid ascent, attention is turning to its leaders, who they are, and how they view the country's incredible transformation over the last thirty years. In How China's Leaders Think: The Inside Story of China's Past, Current and Future Leaders, Revised, bestselling author Lawrence Kuhn goes directly to the source, talking with members of China's ruling party and ...
As China continues its rapid ascent, attention is turning to its leaders, who they are, and how they view the country's incredible transformation over the last thirty years. In How China's Leaders Think: The Inside Story of China's Past, Current and Future Leaders, Revised, bestselling author Lawrence Kuhn goes directly to the source, talking with members of China's ruling party and examining recently declassified Party material to provide readers with an intimate look at China's leaders and leadership structure, visionary principles, and convulsive past, and tracing the nation's reform efforts.
Focusing on President Hu Jintao's philosophies and policies, the book looks to the next generation of China's leaders to ask the questions on everyone's lips. Who are China's future leaders? How do they view China's place in the world? Confronting China's leaders head on, Kuhn asks about the county's many problem, from economic imbalances to unsustainable development, to find out if there's a road map for change. Presenting the thoughts of key Chinese leaders on everything from media, military, banking, and healthcare to film, the Internet, science and technology, and much more, the book paints an intimate, candid portrayal of how China's leaders really think.
Taking readers closer to Party officials than ever before, How China's Leaders Think documents China's thirty-year struggle toward economic and social reform, and what's to come.
Overview: How China's Leaders Think.
PART I GUIDING PRINCIPLES.
PART II THINKING REFORM.
5. Subjugation, Humiliation, Oppression.
6. Reform's Epic Struggle.
7. Tiananmen and Thereafter.
8. What's a "Socialist Market Economy?".
9. How Communism Adopted Capital and Ownership.
10. The Hidden Power of Jiang Zemin's &"Three Represents".
11. The Driving Relevance of Hu Jintao's "Scientific Perspective on Development".
12. Snapshots of Economic Reform.
13. The Countryside is Core.
14. Rebalancing Imbalances.
15. How Reform Permeates All Society.
16. Here Come the Lawyers.
17. Facing Up to Corruption.
18. Values and the New Social Contract.
PART III DOING REFORM.
19. Provincial Pictures of Reform.
20. Regional Dragonheads: Pudong (Shanghai) and Binhai (Tianjin).
21. What to Do with State-Owned Enterprises?
22. The Private Business Revolution.
23. Banking Reform: The Largest Assets and Greatest Risks.
24. Reforming Science & Technology with Sparks & Torches.
25. Education: When Reform and Tradition Clash.
26. Healthcare and Medical Reform: One Doctor's Story.
27. Media and Publishing Reform: Hidden in Plain Sight.
28. How Telecommunications and the Internet Changed China.
29. Diversity of Culture; Question of Censorship.
30. How China's Leaders Love Film.
31. Why Religion Became Important.
32. Foreign Policy Breaks Free.
33. What does Military Reform Mean?
34. Telling China's Story to the World.
PART IV REFORM'S FUTURE.
35. China's Future Senior Leaders.
36. China's New Kind of Leaders.
37. China's Economic Future: How Far Can It Go?
38. Guangdong Visions.
39. China's Political Future: Is Reform Real?
40. China Threat or China?
41. China Reflections and Visions.