How to Succeed in Academics / Edition 1by Edward R.B. McCabe, Linda L. McCabe, Edward R. B. McCabe
Pub. Date: 12/01/1999
Publisher: Elsevier Science
This is a how-to book for the academic life based on more than 50 years combined personal experience and 8 years of formal group mentoring as part of a workshop on these topics. The unwritten rules of university life are shared through fictional vignettes that are all too real. Secrets to successfully achieving short-term and long-term goals are provided in the… See more details below
This is a how-to book for the academic life based on more than 50 years combined personal experience and 8 years of formal group mentoring as part of a workshop on these topics. The unwritten rules of university life are shared through fictional vignettes that are all too real. Secrets to successfully achieving short-term and long-term goals are provided in the progress timelines and suggested milestones. Beginning with selecting a training program and choosing a job, this book takes the student, fellow, or faculty member through the maze of academic secrecy to a new level of understanding and empowerment.
* Provides the unwritten rules for success and "tells it like it is"
* Chapters are organized to help you develop and market your career and determine how to organize your curriculum vitae
* Includes vignettes to illustrate possible pitfalls in academics and strategies on how to avoid them, or how to select the most effective course of action
* Guides you step-by-step through the process of writing grant proposals, abstracts, slide preparation, poster preparation, and presentations
* Provides timelines to estimate your overall career progress or for specific tasks such as grant writing
* Describes negotiation techniques to assist you in interactions with your mentor, your department chair, grant officers, and journal editors
* Summarizes content of each chapter in paragraph subheadings to facilitate reading
Table of ContentsPreface.
Introductory Overview: Establishing Personal Goals and Tracking Your Career.
Selecting a Training Environment: Choosing a Training Program, Training Institution, and Mentor.
Selecting a Position in Academia: Choosing a Department, Institution, and Mentor.
Selecting Grant Opportunities: Understanding the Organization of the NIH, Other Governmental Entities, and Private Foundations.
Writing a Grant: Selecting the Specific Aims, Preparing the Budget, and Developing the Research Proposal.
Grant Review: How Review Groups Work, Responding to the Reviewers' Feedback, and Preparing the Revised Application.
Preparation of Abstracts for Scientific Meetings.
Presentations at Scientific Meetings: Preparation of Effective Slides and Posters.
The 10-Minute Talk.
The 1-Hour Talk, Including the Job Application Seminar.
Selecting a Journal: Instructions for Authors, Recommending Reviewers, and Submitting the Manuscript.
How to Write Research Papers.
How to Write Review Articles and Chapters.
Preparing a Curriculum Vitae.
Summary: Gauging Success.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >