Ships same day or next business day! UPS expedited shipping available (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes). Used sticker & some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not ...include working access code or dust jacketRead moreShow Less
2007 - Paperback - Used - Good - - Shows some shelf-wear. May contain old price stickers or their residue, inscriptions or dedications from previous owners in first few pages and ...remainder marks. - .- - All orders are processed and shipped within 24 business hours, Mon - Fri. Expedited shipping and tracking available within the US. Hall Street’s No-Worry guarantee lets you buy with confidence!Read moreShow Less
Human Behavior and the Social Environment, Micro Level explores the nuances of the biological, psychological, cultural, and spiritual dimensions of our social lives. Drawing on examples from social work, psychology, literature, philosophy, and current events, it richly illustrates human development and behavior, both normal and abnormal. Katherine van Wormer integrates recent research ranging from brain imaging to international surveys on happiness, lending extraordinary insight into our drives and motivations. The result is a singular textbook that truly bridges theory and practice by revealing the patterns and paradoxes of our behavior in the social context.
* Outlines theoretical concepts and practice implications in each chapter
* Places unique emphasis on biology’s influence on human behavior, employing the latest empirical data in discussions of matters such as gender differences, genetics, and mental disorders
* Focuses on evidence-based theory and research
* Teaches from a global, cross-cultural, perspective, highlighting themes of empowerment and social justice
* Features dynamic readings and personal narratives that highlight each chapters topic
* Accompanied by an online instructors manual with Power Points for lecture presentations, chapter summaries, key terms, suggested classroom activities, and a test bank with essay and multiple choice questions Also available is a companion volume, Human Behavior and the Social Environment, Macro Level written with Fred Besthorn and Thomas Keefe, which develops a sophisticated and original view of the cultural, global, spiritual, and natural worlds that people inhabit, and the impact of these worlds on human behavior.
Katherine van Wormer is Professor of Social Work at the University of Northern Iowa and is the author or co-author of nine books in the fields of women and criminal justice, addictions treatment, social welfare in global perspective, and confronting oppression. She has practiced social work in Washington State and Norway and has always been intrigued by human behavior cross-culturally and in the family. Her website is www.katherinevanwormer.com.