The Human Body in Health and Disease / Edition 1by Frederic H. Martini, Edwin F. Bartholomew, Kathleen Welch
Pub. Date: 12/18/1999
Publisher: Benjamin Cummings
Running hurdles demands strength, stamina, and agility. To succeed, you must be healthy, and the various systems of the body must work together efficiently. In this book, The Human Body in Health and Disease, you can learn about how bones, muscles, and joints work, how the heart and lungs meet the muscles' oxygen demands, and how your brain directs or/i>
Running hurdles demands strength, stamina, and agility. To succeed, you must be healthy, and the various systems of the body must work together efficiently. In this book, The Human Body in Health and Disease, you can learn about how bones, muscles, and joints work, how the heart and lungs meet the muscles' oxygen demands, and how your brain directs or coordinates these activities. In short, you will come to understand the basic anatomy and physiology of your own body. You will also learn about the most common illnesses and diseases, their effects on body systems, and the basic principles involved in diagnosing and treating them. In the process you will develop a new vocabulary and a perspective that will enable you to make sense of the wealth of available information concerning new diseases, new drugs, and new medical technologies. Whether you are planning a future career in the health sciences or have an interest in better understanding your own body, this book should be your first step.
Continue your exploration of The Human Body in Health and Disease with the Companion Website: www.prenhall.com/martini
- Self-grading quizzes that provide you with instant feedback and text references
- Additional labeling and objective exercises to help you master the fundamentals
- Hot links to the latest information about dozens of infectious and emerging diseases
- Benjamin Cummings
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- 1 ED
- Product dimensions:
- 8.40(w) x 10.86(h) x 0.84(d)
Table of Contents
1. An Introduction to the Human Body.
2. Chemistry and the Human Body.
3. The Structure and Function of Cells.
4. Tissues and Body Membranes.
5. Organ Systems: An Overview.
6. Mechanisms of Disease.
7. The Integumentary System.
8. The Skeletal System.
9. The Muscular System.
10. The Nervous System 1: Neurons and the Spinal Cord.
11. The Nervous System 2: The Brain and Cranial Nerves.
12. The Senses.
13. The Endocrine System.
14. The Blood.
15. The Heart and Circulation.
16. The Lymphatic System and Immunity.
17. The Respiratory System.
18. The Digestive System.
19. Nutrition and Metabolism.
20. The Urinary System and Body Fluids.
21. The Reproductive System.
22. Development and Inheritance.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >