Human Body in Health and Disease (Cloth) / Edition 4by Gary A. Thibodeau, Kevin T. Patton
Pub. Date: 04/01/2005
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Offering a student-friendly writing style, this text presents a body systems approach with a strong emphasis on vocabulary and basic anatomy and physiology concepts, as well as the basic mechanisms of disease and pathologic conditions associated with each body system. This comprehensive text is dominated by two unifying themes: the complementarity of structure
Offering a student-friendly writing style, this text presents a body systems approach with a strong emphasis on vocabulary and basic anatomy and physiology concepts, as well as the basic mechanisms of disease and pathologic conditions associated with each body system. This comprehensive text is dominated by two unifying themes: the complementarity of structure and function and homeostasis. The integrating principle of homeostasis is used to show how "normal" structure and function is achieved and maintained. Failures of homeostasis are shown as basic mechanisms of disease. The reader is drawn into the subject by superior illustrations, including cadaver dissections, and other student-friendly features.
• Boxed Essays throughout each chapter contain information ranging from clinical applications to sidelights on recent research or topics related to exercise and fitness.
• Clinical Applications at the end of each chapter offer short case studies with questions that tie theory to practice, and encourage students to apply their knowledge to specific, practical problems. Answers are in the back of the book.
• Readability and coverage are at the appropriate level for students approaching the study of anatomy and physiology for the first time, with interesting analogies and examples along with the factual information.
• Superior art program, with over 450 full-color illustrations, complements text material.
• Chapter Outlines introduce each chapter and preview the content.
• Objectives contain measurable objectives for students to identify key goals and master information.
• Detailed Outline Summaries at the end of each chapter provide an excellent recap of important chapter content.
• New and important vocabulary terms are listed at the end of each chapter, and a comprehensive Glossary provides the full definition for each term. All vocabulary terms in each chapter are provided in bold print.
• Student self-evaluation activities at the end of each chapter measure their mastery of content. The Chapter Test (answers in back of book), Review Questions and Critical Thinking (answers in Instructor's Manual) provide objective and subjective questions and encourage use of critical thinking skills.
• Pathologic Conditions appendix provides tables summarizing specific pathological conditions by characteristic.
• Medical Terminology appendix provides a list of word parts commonly used in terms related to medicine and pathology, along with tips on dissecting complex terms to determine their meanings.
• Clinical Laboratory Values appendix provides commonly observed values for human body content and physiological conditions, along with their normal ranges.
• New Chemistry of Life chapter discusses basic chemistry concepts needed for understanding basic anatomy and physiology.
• New Science Applications boxes are added to each chapter, highlighting the contributions of trailblazing scientists to the field of anatomy and physiology.
• Study Tips with collaborative learning activities are now listed at the end of each chapter to assist students in how best to study the chapter materials, making this text more "student friendly" than ever before.
• Quick Check questions are located immediately following major topic discussions through the body of the text, covering important information.
• New full-color Mini-Atlas is added to the Appendix, containing cadaver dissections, osteology, organ casts, and surface anatomy photographs, helpfully illustrating the concepts and systems discussed in the book.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.20(w) x 10.30(h) x 1.40(d)
Table of Contents
1 An Introduction to the Structure and Function of the Body
2 Chemistry of Life
3 Cells and Tissues
4 Organ Systems of the Body
5 Mechanisms of Disease
6 The Integumentary System and Body Membranes
7 The Skeletal System
8 The Muscular System
9 The Nervous System
10 The Senses
11 The Endocrine System
13 The Heart and Heart Disease
14 The Circulation of the Blood
15 The Lymphatic System and Immunity
16 The Respiratory System
17 The Digestive System
18 Nutrition and Metabolism
19 The Urinary System
20 Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
21 Acid-Base Balance
22 The Reproductive Systems
23 Growth and Development
24 Genetics and Genetic Diseases
Appendix A Mini-Atlas
Appendix B Examples of Pathological Conditions
Appendix C Medical Terminology
Appendix D Clinical and Laboratory Values
Appendix E Common Abbreviations and Symbols
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >