1. Perspectives and Research Methods.
Key Issues in the Study of Human Development. Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on Human Development. Studying Human Development: Descriptive Approaches. Studying Human Development: Experimental Approaches. Ethics in Developmental Research.
2. Approaches to Understanding Human Development.
Additional Questions about Development. Psychodynamic Approaches. Behaviorism and Learning Theories. Cognitive Approaches. Biological Approaches. Systems Approaches. Theories in Retrospect.
3. Heredity and Environment.
Molecular Genetics. Genes, Chromosomes, and Cell Division. Genetic and Chromosomal Disorders. Advances in Genetic Research and Treatment. Behavior Genetics. Environmental Influences and Contexts. Processes within the Microsystem. Processes That Transcend the Microsystem. A Tale of the Interaction between Heredity and Environment.
4. Prenatal Development and Childbirth.
Prenatal Growth and Development. Prenatal Environmental Influences. Childbirth. Premature and High-Risk Infants. The Evolving Family.
5. Infancy and Toddlerhood: Physical, Cognitive, and Language Development.
Neonates. Physical and Motor Development. Sensory and Perceptual Development. Cognitive Development. Language Development.
6. Infants and Toddlers: Personality and Sociocultural Development.
Social and EmotionalDevelopment in Infancy. Patterns of Early Relationships. Fathers, Siblings, and the Family System. Personality Development in the Second Year of Life. Parental Employment.
7. Early Childhood: Physical, Cognitive, and Language Development.
Physical Development. Motor Skills Development. Cognitive Development. Memory and Cognitive Development. Language Development and Culture. Play and Learning.
8. Early Childhood: Personality and Sociocultural Development.
Developmental Issues and Coping Patterns. Aggression and Prosocial Behavior. Peers, Play, and Development of Social Skills. Understanding Self and Others. Family Dynamics.
9. Middle Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
Physical and Motor Development. Cognitive Development. Intelligence and Achievement. Learning and Thinking in School. Developmental Disorders.
10. Middle Childhood: Personality and Sociocultural Development.
Personality Development in an Expanding Social World. Social Knowledge and Reasoning. Continuing Family Influences. Peer Relationships and Social Competence.
11. Adolescence: Physical and Cognitive Development.
Adolescence Today. Physical Development and Adjustment. Sexual Attitudes and Behavior. Cognitive Changes in Adolescence.
12. Adolescence: Personality and Sociocultural Development.
Developmental Tasks of Adolescence. Family Dynamics. Relationships During Adolescence. When Adolescence Goes Awry. Stress, Depression, and Adolescent Coping.
13. Young Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
Perspectives on Adult Development. General Physical Development. Sex and Sexuality. Cognitive Continuity and Change. Seasons and Tasks of Adult Development.
14. Young Adulthood: Personality and Sociocultural Development.
Continuity and Change. Self, Family, and Work. Forming Close Relationships. Parenthood and Adult Development. The Occupational Cycle. Work and Gender.
15. Middle Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
Development in Middle Adulthood. Physical Continuity and Change. Health and Disease. Cognitive Continuity and Change.
16. Middle Adulthood: Personality and Sociocultural Development.
Personality Continuity and Change. Family and Friends: Interpersonal Contexts. The Changing Family. Occupational Continuity and Change.
17. Older Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
Aging Today. Physical Aspects of Aging. Causes of Aging. Cognitive Changes in Advanced Age.
18. Older Adulthood: Personality and Sociocultural Development.
Personality and Aging. Retirement: A Major Change in Status. Family and Personal Relationships. U.S. Social Policy and Older Adulthood.
19. Death and Dying.
Thoughts and Fears of Death. Confronting Your Own Death. The Search for a Humane Death. Grief and Bereavement. Completing the Life Cycle.